Song a Week Season 3: Week 1
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Song a Week Season 3: Week 1

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Song a Week Season 3: Week 1

Here we go, season 3. The spirit again is to write a song a week. However, I'm changing the format a little. Effectively, we'll do 2 weeks for this first one, to see who turns up and allow for summer holidays

Instead of eliminations, we will work like thus:

We'll attempt to submit one song a week.

- The first scores you 10 points.
    - The second in a week scores you 7 points
    - The third, 5 points
    - The fourth 2 point, and 1 point for every further song.

If you miss a week, you score 0 points, but, it allows everyone to keep playing until the end. It means people falling ill or ending up with heavy workloads don't get eliminated due to bad luck, and it also means people can start and join in whenever, and play a bit of catch up if they want. 10 points is an incentive to submit weekly, but if something happens, and it's late, you can still play a little catch up.

We'll keep a rolling tally all the way through to week 8, at which point someone will be rewarded with the coveted season 3 crown(*)

Rules:
    1) All Submissions by end of play 23rd of August
    2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
    3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
    4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
    5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
    6) If you don't submit, you're don't score points.
    7) Remember that quality outstrips quantity, don't just post up tons of rubbish to try and win, we're doing this to get writing, someone winning the coveted season 3 crown is a bonus(*)
    8) Mixtests don't count, there's another forum for that (ss.org)
    9) Submissions to be posted as soundcloud links

We will not:
    1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
    2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
    3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
    4) Discourage anyone from participating
    5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
    6) Steal others work or ideas.

(*) crown does not exist. Like the cake, it is a lie

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Ok, this may or may not count as I started working on it last week when I thought we were starting then. No worries if it doesn't count.

What I'd really love is some mixing feedback.

What do y'all think? Do the two guitars and bass sit well with one another? Is there something I'm not doing I should be? Something I am I should stop? Please load me down with constructive criticism:

Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: Ibanez RGIB6
    MA: Alvarez P.O.S.
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Kemper

No lipstick, no skirt, lol! I'm very new to the whole recording thing, but what the hell, here ya go!

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Ok, this may or may not count as I started working on it last week when I thought we were starting then. No worries if it doesn't count.

What do y'all think? Do the two guitars and bass sit well with one another? Is there something I'm not doing I should be? Something I am I should stop? Please load me down with constructive criticism:

don't quote me on it, but i think the bass can come up a bit, also, as kicks aren't dominating the low end, you could probably give the bass more room there by bumpoing up the 70hz? The tip i got off Lozek was to bump 70hz and cut 120 for one, cut 70 and bump 120 for the other. Basdically, choose if weight comes from kick or bass, and then the other one provides accents as it were?

But it's sounding good dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohmer View Post
    No lipstick, no skirt, lol! I'm very new to the whole recording thing, but what the hell, here ya go!
    I absolutely love the feel and drag of this! For some who's new to this recording thing this is awesome!

ME: Solar A1.6ET

I don't understand the rules but I wanna participate this time around

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Bohmer View Post
    Dig it.
    Glad you stepped out and put this together. It comes across on my end a tiny bit too hot, so maybe drop the master track volume a teeny bit before uploading to Sounccloud. Love the guitar tone and there's some really cool riffs going on. Looking forward to what else you come up with this season.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    don't quote me on it, but i think the bass can come up a bit, also, as kicks aren't dominating the low end, you could probably give the bass more room there by bumpoing up the 70hz? The tip i got off Lozek was to bump 70hz and cut 120 for one, cut 70 and bump 120 for the other. Basdically, choose if weight comes from kick or bass, and then the other one provides accents as it were?

But it's sounding good dude!
    Thanks 7DT, I'l play around with that, probably put the kicks at the 70 mark and the bass at the 120. I'm loving the way the Nazgul and custom Pegasus are blending. For the first time in a long time I'm not GAS'ing for any new equipment, just the ability to get more out of what I have. And, the SAW pushes me to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I don't understand the rules but I wanna participate this time around
    Simple: Write a song a week. Post it here. Most importantly, have fun jamming out while doing it.

I've been bummed you haven't been in on the previous seasons - especially with stuff like you did for the Metal Archives contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post

To me, the bass is hard to hear during the heavy part. When I can hear the bass (mainly at the beginning) I love the tone, would just like more of it The guitar tone is crushing, love it I really like the dynamics in your writing, never boring and tight as fuck, definitely leaves me wanting to hear more

Thanks for the kind words and feedback guys, I'm having a blast with this, the hardest part for me is getting over being a chicken-shit and just jumping in, lol!

Just a thought, but maybe a separate thread for posting up signal chain, etc on how participants achieved their end result. It could be very useful in helping smooth out workflow, process, etc.