Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Song a Week Season 3: Week 7

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Bohmer 
#1 ·
Week 7, season 3. penultimate week this season! The spirit again is to write a song a week. Bohmer is in the lead with 2 weeks to go

leaderboard is:

Bohmer 60pts
Iron1 50pts
scole 50pts
astrocreep 40pts
Rocka_Rollas 30pts
Markus 20pts
7deadlysins 10pts
TheKindred 10 pts
T_Gobbs 10pts
KarlHV 10 pts

The rest of MG.org: Nada, zilch, zip

Instead of eliminations, we will work like thus:

We'll attempt to submit one song a week.

- The first scores you 10 points.
- The second in a week scores you 7 points
- The third, 5 points
- The fourth 2 point, and 1 point for every further song.

If you miss a week, you score 0 points, but, it allows everyone to keep playing until the end. It means people falling ill or ending up with heavy workloads don't get eliminated due to bad luck, and it also means people can start and join in whenever, and play a bit of catch up if they want. 10 points is an incentive to submit weekly, but if something happens, and it's late, you can still play a little catch up.

We'll keep a rolling tally all the way through to week 8, at which point someone will be rewarded with the coveted season 3 crown(*)

Rules:
1) All Submissions by end of play 6th of September
2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
6) If you don't submit, you're don't score points.
7) Remember that quality outstrips quantity, don't just post up tons of rubbish to try and win, we're doing this to get writing, someone winning the coveted season 3 crown is a bonus(*)
8) Mixtests don't count, there's another forum for that (ss.org)
9) Submissions to be posted as soundcloud links

We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
6) Steal others work or ideas.

(*) crown does not exist. Like the cake, it is a lie

See less See more
#2 ·
I've wanted a Dimarzio Imperium for awhile now, but settled for the Pegasus a month or so back. Well, my buddy that sold me the Pegasus wanted to buy it back right when I happened on a good deal on a set of Imperiums over at 7s. So, I pulled the Pegasus out and installed the Imperum bridge in my Franken7. Love the aggression it has - great low end definition and thick, crackling high end. Still not done tone-fiddling with it, but it's my fave 7 string pup hands down, right now at least :lol: (it's panned right and all the cleans are from it. And, if anyone wants the neck pup, it's for sale, as is the Pegasus after my buddy sold the guitar he was going to put it in...)

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/his-open-tomb-3-1-1

#5 ·
Ok, here it is again. Still need to dial in the guitars better.

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/his-open-tomb-3-1-3

#11 ·
Ugh. I'm losing the weekly steam as this was another week of struggles to finish up my song. I lost half the week to a cold and the rest of the time was DAW roulette as I kept re-arranging a few discrete sections to find the best flow. Came up with a couple nice moments tonight as I worked to pull it all together.

#13 ·
Dig it Scole. Has a cool, laid back, 90s guitar hero vibe to it.

I've said it before but while I don't always gel with the metal style you write, I do love the work you do with incorporating sound effects / atmospherics into your work and the little quirky sections you sometimes add like the clean section in this one. :yesway:
Thanks, I appreiacte the encouragement, especially from someone who isn't into extreme metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.