Lead A Week - Pre-Season - Week 1

Thread: Lead A Week - Pre-Season - Week 1

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Lead A Week - Pre-Season - Week 1

This will be the test run. We'll do this for 4 weeks, reevaluate and then roll into Season 1. If anyone has suggestions for a better source for backing tracks, please let us know.

This week will run from now until next Monday (11/18/19)

We'll attempt to lead over one song a week.

- The first scores you 10 points.
    - The second in a week scores you 7 points
    - The third, 5 points
    - The fourth 2 point, and 1 point for every further song.

** The first submission must be the posted backing track. Additional submissions can be variations over the same track or over tracks with similar sound quality as long as the track is posted for all to access.

penalties
    - 10 point penalty and no points scored for submitted song per rule infraction.

** Submissions to be posted as soundcloud links, or as a youtube video.

If you miss a week, you score 0 points, but, it allows everyone to keep playing until the end. It means people falling ill or ending up with heavy workloads don't get eliminated due to bad luck, and it also means people can start and join in whenever, and play a bit of catch up if they want. 10 points is an incentive to submit weekly, but if something happens, and it's late, you can still play a little catch up.

We'll keep a rolling tally all the way through to week 4, at which point someone will be rewarded with the coveted pre-season crown(*)

Rules:
    1) All Submissions by end of play 18th of November. We will run Tuesday to Monday.
    2) Even if no one can check, the spirit is playing over a song a week
    3) No rules on genre, feel free to suggest backing tracks for the future
    4) No rules on how exact the lead is, either plagiarise it note for note, or make it your own
    4) Must be a lead over the posted track.
    5) Feel free to add rhythms if that floats your boat, as some of the backing tracks may not have all the rhythm guitars on them.
    6) If you don't submit, you're don't score points.
    7) Remember that quality outstrips quantity, don't just post up tons of rubbish to try and win, we're doing this to improve lead skills, someone winning the coveted pre-season crown is a bonus(*)
    8) Mixtests don't count, there's another forum for that (ss.org)
    9) Submissions to be posted as soundcloud links, or as a youtube video if you want to show off your 1337 video skillzzzz
    10) No limits on recording a lead you already know, as if pressed for time, this might be easier
    11) Have fun, and learn some licks along the way

We will not:
    1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about recording covers, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
    2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
    3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
    4) Discourage anyone from participating
    5) Tell anyone they suck, everyone has different levels of ability, this isn't a pissing competition

Here's this week's backing track. A classic:

https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/p..._tolls_(4).htm
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

I feel a bit crappy for only criticising and not participating, but a couple of thoughts occurred to me, and they might be helpful in getting more people involved. If I were still playing guitar, these things would stop me joining in.

I wouldn't want to have to sign up to a site to download the track. Download it yourself and put a link to it that others can simply click on to download. Use Dropbox or Google Drive or something like that.
    Using a backing track of an entire song wouldn't float my boat. It can be tough coming up with leads for 3-4 minutes, especially on the fly. Just a short solo section would be better, I think.
    It should be an unknown bit of music. I wouldn't be completely opposed to soloing over a famous song's solo, but the more well known it is, the harder it is to work with, I think.

Do a search on YouTube for 'metal backing track' and there are loads of results. Most of them are pretty long, but you can just take a short section from them and use that.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    I feel a bit crappy for only criticising and not participating, but a couple of thoughts occurred to me, and they might be helpful in getting more people involved. If I were still playing guitar, these things would stop me joining in.

I wouldn't want to have to sign up to a site to download the track. Download it yourself and put a link to it that others can simply click on to download. Use Dropbox or Google Drive or something like that.
    Using a backing track of an entire song wouldn't float my boat. It can be tough coming up with leads for 3-4 minutes, especially on the fly. Just a short solo section would be better, I think.
    It should be an unknown bit of music. I wouldn't be completely opposed to soloing over a famous song's solo, but the more well known it is, the harder it is to work with, I think.

Do a search on YouTube for 'metal backing track' and there are loads of results. Most of them are pretty long, but you can just take a short section from them and use that.
    Agree with all of the above.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

I agree too. I once again want to do this but probably won't have time. But I'd rather jam over a random YT track than listen to someone improv over a tune I know for 5 minutes. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSM40GlyFvk

Thanks for doing this though btw, I listened to a ton of the other stuff you guys did and enjoyed it all.

Thanks for the feedback. Since I don't play leads, and don't play over backing tracks, that whole portion of this is foreign to me. So, any an all suggestions of where to get something viable are welcome.

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post

Agreed as well.

Also. I'm looking forward to this.
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Since I don't play leads, and don't play over backing tracks, that whole portion of this is foreign to me. So, any an all suggestions of where to get something viable are welcome.
    There are a TON of good backing tracks on youtube. Tonight I'll try to post another thread here with youtube videos of backing tracks I like, that we can all add onto, which might help here.

I'd be game to try to do something here, especially if it's not a matter of playing a lead on a song I already know.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    There are a TON of good backing tracks on youtube. Tonight I'll try to post another thread here with youtube videos of backing tracks I like, that we can all add onto, which might help here.
    Please do - then we can restart this tomorrow or Saturday.