This will be the test run. We'll do this for 4 weeks, reevaluate and then roll into Season 1. If anyone has suggestions for a better source for backing tracks, please let us know.
This week will run from now until next Monday (11/18/19)
We'll attempt to lead over one song a week.
- The first scores you 10 points.
- The second in a week scores you 7 points
- The third, 5 points
- The fourth 2 point, and 1 point for every further song.
** The first submission must be the posted backing track. Additional submissions can be variations over the same track or over tracks with similar sound quality as long as the track is posted for all to access.
- 10 point penalty and no points scored for submitted song per rule infraction.
** Submissions to be posted as soundcloud links, or as a youtube video.
If you miss a week, you score 0 points, but, it allows everyone to keep playing until the end. It means people falling ill or ending up with heavy workloads don't get eliminated due to bad luck, and it also means people can start and join in whenever, and play a bit of catch up if they want. 10 points is an incentive to submit weekly, but if something happens, and it's late, you can still play a little catch up.
We'll keep a rolling tally all the way through to week 4, at which point someone will be rewarded with the coveted pre-season crown(*)
1) All Submissions by end of play 18th of November. We will run Tuesday to Monday.
2) Even if no one can check, the spirit is playing over a song a week
3) No rules on genre, feel free to suggest backing tracks for the future
4) No rules on how exact the lead is, either plagiarise it note for note, or make it your own
4) Must be a lead over the posted track.
5) Feel free to add rhythms if that floats your boat, as some of the backing tracks may not have all the rhythm guitars on them.
6) If you don't submit, you're don't score points.
7) Remember that quality outstrips quantity, don't just post up tons of rubbish to try and win, we're doing this to improve lead skills, someone winning the coveted pre-season crown is a bonus(*)
8) Mixtests don't count, there's another forum for that (ss.org)
9) Submissions to be posted as soundcloud links, or as a youtube video if you want to show off your 1337 video skillzzzz
10) No limits on recording a lead you already know, as if pressed for time, this might be easier
11) Have fun, and learn some licks along the way
We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about recording covers, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck, everyone has different levels of ability, this isn't a pissing competition
Here's this week's backing track. A classic: