Metal Guitarist Forums banner

MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 1, week 2

5K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
So, here we are, week 2 of the mg.org something for everyone challenge. Born out of some people liking doing covers, whilst others like writing songs, with a combination of a few people just not having enough time to do full songs (hence the lead a week). Do one, 2 or all 3. Also, it means I only have to track one of these per week.

Last week we got a load of entries, so point totals are as follows:
Markus: 20
Iron1: 10
7DT: 10
Connor: 10
scole: 10
Rev Drucifer: 10

Rules are simple, do 1-3 things every week, Post your creations in the weekly thread as soundcloud/youtube links. I'm aiming to get various contributions for backing tracks, each one will be credited to the author. As it's the first week I'm doing a dropbox download, but we should get some dedicated hosting or something like that courtesy of chris.

The deadline for this week is end of play, Sunday 22nd March

Short rules:
- You have until sunday midnight/monday morning to post your submission
- Either do an original song, a cover/medley or a lead over the provided backing track per week.
- Submissions must be stuff you've done this week, no matter how awesome an old track/recording is
- 10 points for each submission, per category.
- submissions as souncloud or youtube links. Well, as long as it is playable from a post in the thread really.
- You can do multiple entries per category, but only the first one will score points.
- no eliminations, do your stuff as and when you can
- leads can be layer, melodies, you can chop and rearrange the track, whatever floats your boat really
- Don't be a dick to other people. You can go to ss.org for that.
- Don't steal other peoples songs
- Don't steal backing tracks or pass it off as your own, give credit where it's due if you want to share your awesome yngwie malmsteen unleash the fjokking fjury face melting solo.

LAW Track:

This weeks backing track is courtesy of this forums shredtatsic Vince, it's in Eb, tempo unknown as i forgot to ask. Many thanks to VInce for contributing! :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ytsnyn7x1pfvro8/AAB3dZvWl7oHq006aW811zpFa?dl=0

Have fun peoples!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, Vince!

------------------------------------------

Right after I got done writing that hippie-dippie happy post in last week's thread someone pissed me off more than I've been pissed off in a long time as I sat in my studio with a guitar thinking "What can I write this week?". Brootz it shall be.

#10 ·
Great atmosphere to that one. :yesway:

Did the LAW. It's a little choppy because I was having a helluva time melting stuff together but th'ur it is. Ride out is a blatant Bark at the Moon knockoff, but I have zero shame.

Nice job - doesn't sound choppy to me, but I get how it might for you - my own worst critic lives in my skin, too. Welcome to SAW.

Just need to record the bass lines on my entry for this week and I'll have it submitted - hoping to have time to do that today...

#21 ·
Don't beat yourself up, this was really good!! I think it's totally appropriate to write leads in multiple takes, but then go the extra mile by getting down the muscle memory and learning how to tie them together so you can play it all at once. Playing with a band always helped with this. I'd write this lead line I could barely play, then my bandmates would expect me to be able to play it live, so I had to constantly get better. I love writing difficult music then getting good at it. It takes you to the next level and it's growth!

Hey, but that's the heart of this: just get it done. Then, after we can go back and make 'em better.

Here's mine for this week. Guitars are entirely the Elysian Trident II (with the exception of the second 'clean' part), including the part where I use a slide for the first time ever - and make SRV roll over in his grave...

LOVE that guitar sound. Ultra tight yet really aggressive.

Alex Skolnick fan? This sounds like something Reb Beach or Alex Skolnick played on that 90s "Guitars that Rule the World" classic CD. Really great playing!

I did a SAW as well.

AWESOME mix of doomy sludge with haunting melody. I love it.

#17 ·
Welcome, Randy!

I’ve got shitty internet on my ipad at work because I’m using a hotspot from my personal phone so I don’t cause any shit cruising guitar forums on the clock, but I’m anxious to get home and check out what’s been posted so far!

I finished writing my tune yesterday, tracked the legit guitars last night, doing bass and a lead tonight then it’s vocals tomorrow. This is the first tune I’ve ever written in drop-B and it definitely has a Slipknot vibe, IMO. Every time I say to myself that I’m going to start writing more clean vocal songs, I write something that’s more appropriate to scream on. Such is life.

#18 ·
Every time I say to myself that I'm going to start writing more clean vocal songs, I write something that's more appropriate to scream on. Such is life.
This happens to me with every song I've ever written :lol: Or worse yet, the music is plenty appropriate to sing over but I scream anyway...

Did the LAW. It's a little choppy because I was having a helluva time melting stuff together but th'ur it is. Ride out is a blatant Bark at the Moon knockoff, but I have zero shame.

Nice playing! I purposefully waited on checking it out because I wanted to get my own entry done... Speaking of which, here it is in all it's incredibly sloppy glory. I divided the song into 5 sections and did separate improvisations over each, but I managed to avoid too many punch in/outs otherwise. This thrashy kind of stuff is not what I'm used to so I had fun trying to play over something different :yesway:

#22 ·
Oh man that is doomy as fuck. The mix sounds really good on my setup :yesway:

Hey, but that's the heart of this: just get it done. Then, after we can go back and make 'em better.

Here's mine for this week. Guitars are entirely the Elysian Trident II (with the exception of the second 'clean' part), including the part where I use a slide for the first time ever - and make SRV roll over in his grave...

I like this one a lot, thrashy and focused. A few sections would benefit from more tailored drum patterns IMO, but we all know what a pain the ass programming them is. Incidentally, the guitar I used for this week's LAW in also fitted with Elysian pickups, I think they're Trident IIs as well. I'm going to use it for next week's SAW.

Here's my SAW entry. Same tuning as last week, I started out with all the same settings but somehow didn't like the mix at all :lol: Overall not quite as happy with this one, but any week that a song actually gets done is a good one. Last week the low E was new to me so like 95% of that song was low chugs, so in this week's entry I tried to get away from that. In the coming weeks I think I'll try to write some instrumental stuff, doing vocals takes me longer than writing+recording all the rest easily :lol:

#33 ·
Holee Gojira Batman! Good stuff.

It's so cool that so many of us are submitting this time around - a seriously great bunch of new tunes to listen too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.