MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 1, week 2 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 1, week 2

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Welcome, Randy!

I’ve got shitty internet on my ipad at work because I’m using a hotspot from my personal phone so I don’t cause any shit cruising guitar forums on the clock, but I’m anxious to get home and check out what’s been posted so far!

I finished writing my tune yesterday, tracked the legit guitars last night, doing bass and a lead tonight then it’s vocals tomorrow. This is the first tune I’ve ever written in drop-B and it definitely has a Slipknot vibe, IMO. Every time I say to myself that I’m going to start writing more clean vocal songs, I write something that’s more appropriate to scream on. Such is life.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: DC727/RG7621
    MB: SR505
    Rig: Emissary

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    Every time I say to myself that Iím going to start writing more clean vocal songs, I write something thatís more appropriate to scream on. Such is life.
    This happens to me with every song I've ever written Or worse yet, the music is plenty appropriate to sing over but I scream anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Did the LAW. It's a little choppy because I was having a helluva time melting stuff together but th'ur it is. Ride out is a blatant Bark at the Moon knockoff, but I have zero shame.

Nice playing! I purposefully waited on checking it out because I wanted to get my own entry done... Speaking of which, here it is in all it's incredibly sloppy glory. I divided the song into 5 sections and did separate improvisations over each, but I managed to avoid too many punch in/outs otherwise. This thrashy kind of stuff is not what I'm used to so I had fun trying to play over something different

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post

Good stuff
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ô - Iím not just a member, Iím the President.
    Donít expect much, itís not like Iím a rocket surgeon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I did a SAW as well.

"How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Did the LAW. It's a little choppy because I was having a helluva time melting stuff together but th'ur it is. Ride out is a blatant Bark at the Moon knockoff, but I have zero shame.

Don't beat yourself up, this was really good!! I think it's totally appropriate to write leads in multiple takes, but then go the extra mile by getting down the muscle memory and learning how to tie them together so you can play it all at once. Playing with a band always helped with this. I'd write this lead line I could barely play, then my bandmates would expect me to be able to play it live, so I had to constantly get better. I love writing difficult music then getting good at it. It takes you to the next level and it's growth!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Hey, but that's the heart of this: just get it done. Then, after we can go back and make 'em better.

Here's mine for this week. Guitars are entirely the Elysian Trident II (with the exception of the second 'clean' part), including the part where I use a slide for the first time ever - and make SRV roll over in his grave...

LOVE that guitar sound. Ultra tight yet really aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Alex Skolnick fan? This sounds like something Reb Beach or Alex Skolnick played on that 90s "Guitars that Rule the World" classic CD. Really great playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I did a SAW as well.

AWESOME mix of doomy sludge with haunting melody. I love it.

ME: DC727/RG7621
    MB: SR505
    Rig: Emissary

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I did a SAW as well.

Oh man that is doomy as fuck. The mix sounds really good on my setup

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Hey, but that's the heart of this: just get it done. Then, after we can go back and make 'em better.

Here's mine for this week. Guitars are entirely the Elysian Trident II (with the exception of the second 'clean' part), including the part where I use a slide for the first time ever - and make SRV roll over in his grave...

I like this one a lot, thrashy and focused. A few sections would benefit from more tailored drum patterns IMO, but we all know what a pain the ass programming them is. Incidentally, the guitar I used for this week's LAW in also fitted with Elysian pickups, I think they're Trident IIs as well. I'm going to use it for next week's SAW.

Here's my SAW entry. Same tuning as last week, I started out with all the same settings but somehow didn't like the mix at all Overall not quite as happy with this one, but any week that a song actually gets done is a good one. Last week the low E was new to me so like 95% of that song was low chugs, so in this week's entry I tried to get away from that. In the coming weeks I think I'll try to write some instrumental stuff, doing vocals takes me longer than writing+recording all the rest easily

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

just did a mix test for my bands latest song so here, have at you all....

soundcloud will no doubt crush the shit out of it as usual

ME: RG560
    Rig: DV Mark/Orange

Tried doing some more score type stuff.

Cool music from everyone as always!