MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 1, week 3 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 1, week 3

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Just in the nick of time!

Here's a sloppy LOTW. I started around 11Pm and just took a bunch of takes until 11:45 and went with the last take I did. I'm so not in shape for playing leads and my fingers are feelin' the burn now.

Perfection is the enemy of progress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post
    I still need to check out everyone's submissions but here's mine:

I had a hell of a time with this one because the guitar rhythm was more on the "and" of the beats rather than the 1/2/3/4s. I also have some latency issues I still need to sort out.
    Easily my favorite thing you've done so far. That's so chill and I love anything with delay on it, so it's an automatic win in my book. Those drums sound fucking GREAT dude. What program are you using? You've probably said it before, but I can't remember. Everything, kick snare and cymbals are all just fucking perfect. I nominate that tune for next week's LOTW track.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Great tunes from everyone this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I'm actually pretty stoked with my submission this week. I sat in my studio earlier this week and for the first time in a while, enjoyed a little herbal recreation. Opened up Logic, started noodling and within about an hour had a good amount of the riffs in this song gathered. I organized those into the first half and for the second half I wanted to 'write' it by improvising the guitar track and then writing the drums to it after. It's a bit long, but I've already written vocal melodies for the entire second half, including the whole start/stop section. After I cleaned up my studio a couple weeks ago, I've got the Korg TR-1 rack ready to go all the time, it's got some of the base sounds that Derek Sherinian used on Falling Into Infinity and those are my favorite keyboard sounds of all time. A lot of the drums were programmed at work in my office because this one was definitely an undertaking. The only shite part of it all is that I didn't check my guitar tuning enough and as the song goes on, you can hear some slight chorusing from the strings being a couple cents off from each other. Especially when the synth is playing under them. The intro is a double tracked 12 string with a shitload of compression and EQ (the raw tracks sound like SHIT). I used an actual amp for the first harmony guitars you hear in the beginning because I really wanted it to start with that feedback and wasn't getting it to kick in right away with the AxeFX. Lots of synth shit from Alchemy in the intro. When I started recording music on my own, this is the EXACT idea I had in mind for what I wanted to write.

Off to go listen to this week's submissions then I'm gonna fuck around with the LOTW!
    This is really cool how it goes from foreboding intro to heaviness - the intro gives me some Death "Void of the Soul"-vibes. This is my favorite of your songs this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Nice one, Rev, my favorite of yours this season. That intro is awesome and the guitars sound great (again), those chugs at the end are devastating.

I started off the week highly motivated but pulled a muscle in my mid back and it made playing guitar for any real length of time nigh impossible so this came out pretty rough/short. I'd intended to LAW again this week but oh well

I like the mix of the synths and the guitars - that's also some serious downtuning!

I had a hell of a time with this one because the guitar rhythm was more on the "and" of the beats rather than the 1/2/3/4s. I also have some latency issues I still need to sort out.
    Really cool musical use of delay - did you adjust the timing of the delay so that it follows the rhythm? Great tune otherwise too, cool bluesy guitars, atmospheric stuff.

I tend to get latency issues when using delay, think my PC isn't powerful enough for it. My solution has been to either mute the track or turn the delay off, but that option might not work too well when using the delay like this.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Really dig this. I could totally run this on repeat through my headphones while I work. Good job, again!

Just in the nick of time!

Here's a sloppy LOTW. I started around 11Pm and just took a bunch of takes until 11:45 and went with the last take I did. I'm so not in shape for playing leads and my fingers are feelin' the burn now.

Talk about under the wire! Definitely some sweet parts in there.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Thanks, everyone. The core parts came together pretty quickly but I kind of stalled towards the end, especially when I was trying to work out some latency issues.

Easily my favorite thing you've done so far. That's so chill and I love anything with delay on it, so it's an automatic win in my book. Those drums sound fucking GREAT dude. What program are you using? You've probably said it before, but I can't remember. Everything, kick snare and cymbals are all just fucking perfect. I nominate that tune for next week's LOTW track.
    Thanks, man. Your mixes always sound great so I appreciate it. My drums are just EZ Drummer 2 using the basic kit of the Metal Machine Expansion park. I alos have a number of their MIDI libraries so I scour the collections for grooves/fills and then tweak them for taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Really cool musical use of delay - did you adjust the timing of the delay so that it follows the rhythm? Great tune otherwise too, cool bluesy guitars, atmospheric stuff.

I tend to get latency issues when using delay, think my PC isn't powerful enough for it. My solution has been to either mute the track or turn the delay off, but that option might not work too well when using the delay like this.
    Just checked my file. Looks like I didn't tweak the tempo delay on the patch this time. I decreased the project tempo to 100bpm and then I eventually adjusted the the way I was playing the riff to get it to work. Originally, I was playing more pedal tone notes on the open D string but switched to playing the riff more like the intro to Play That Funky Music by White Cherry. That made it easier to finally find some drum grooves to get the ball rolling.

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Had some really cool inspiration when I started this one, then the week sucked the life outta me, hence the title...

File this under "give me my 10 points so I can move on"...

The switch to the chugging riff about 2/3rds of the way through was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Here's mine. Didn't come up with any good vocal melodies, but might try again at some later point,

I'm not a doom metal fan but that clean guitar work is beautiful..

I'm actually pretty stoked with my submission this week. I sat in my studio earlier this week and for the first time in a while, enjoyed a little herbal recreation. Opened up Logic, started noodling and within about an hour had a good amount of the riffs in this song gathered. I organized those into the first half and for the second half I wanted to 'write' it by improvising the guitar track and then writing the drums to it after. It's a bit long, but I've already written vocal melodies for the entire second half, including the whole start/stop section. After I cleaned up my studio a couple weeks ago, I've got the Korg TR-1 rack ready to go all the time, it's got some of the base sounds that Derek Sherinian used on Falling Into Infinity and those are my favorite keyboard sounds of all time. A lot of the drums were programmed at work in my office because this one was definitely an undertaking. The only shite part of it all is that I didn't check my guitar tuning enough and as the song goes on, you can hear some slight chorusing from the strings being a couple cents off from each other. Especially when the synth is playing under them. The intro is a double tracked 12 string with a shitload of compression and EQ (the raw tracks sound like SHIT). I used an actual amp for the first harmony guitars you hear in the beginning because I really wanted it to start with that feedback and wasn't getting it to kick in right away with the AxeFX. Lots of synth shit from Alchemy in the intro. When I started recording music on my own, this is the EXACT idea I had in mind for what I wanted to write.

Sounds great & I share your love for the Derek era Korg Synth sounds. The keyboard stuff on my submission this week was all part of the Triton VST. If you're a DT fan from that era, there definitely are some similarities but it's also not clone or rip-off. Still also like your use of the whammy/pitch-shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    I started off the week highly motivated but pulled a muscle in my mid back and it made playing guitar for any real length of time nigh impossible so this came out pretty rough/short. I'd intended to LAW again this week but oh well

Lots happening in your riffs but it all seems to work together. I don't know how people can come up with things like this.