Metal Guitarist Forums banner

MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 1, week 4

5K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
So, here we are, week 4 of the mg.org something for everyone challenge. Born out of some people liking doing covers, whilst others like writing songs, with a combination of a few people just not having enough time to do full songs (hence the lead a week). Do one, 2 or all 3. Also, it means I only have to track one of these per week.

The point totals after week 3 are as follows:
Markus: 50
Connor: 40
Rev Drucifer: 40
Iron1: 30
scole: 30
7DT: 20
Randy: 20
T Gobbs: 10
Nick: 9
Vince: 10
Mattayus: 10

Rules are simple, do 1-3 things every week, Post your creations in the weekly thread as soundcloud/youtube links. I'm aiming to get various contributions for backing tracks, each one will be credited to the author. As it's the first week I'm doing a dropbox download, but we should get some dedicated hosting or something like that courtesy of chris. If you gave me a backing track, then you get bonus 10 points too, I am instigating that, as work should be rewarded. And points mean prizes (whatever that means)

The deadline for this week is end of play, Sunday 5th April

Short rules:
- You have until sunday midnight/monday morning to post your submission
- Either do an original song, a cover/medley or a lead over the provided backing track per week.
- Submissions must be stuff you've done this week, no matter how awesome an old track/recording is
- 10 points for each submission, per category.
- submissions as souncloud or youtube links. Well, as long as it is playable from a post in the thread really.
- You can do multiple entries per category, but only the first one will score points.
- no eliminations, do your stuff as and when you can
- leads can be layer, melodies, you can chop and rearrange the track, whatever floats your boat really
- Don't be a dick to other people. You can go to ss.org for that.
- Don't steal other peoples songs
- Don't steal backing tracks or pass it off as your own, give credit where it's due if you want to share your awesome yngwie malmsteen unleash the fjokking fjury face melting solo.

LAW Track:

This weeks backing track is courtesy of this forums Master of dark necro kvlt metal Nick, again, tons of thanks for the contribution!:

LAW TRACKS

Have fun peoples!

See less See more
#8 ·
Got some inspiration and kept rolling with it this week. Now I can't decide if I want to put the bass lines on this or try and get a 2nd song done this week to gain some ground on the leaders...

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/containment-breach-2-3-7

#9 ·
For SAW, is there a length component?

also I probably should have asked last week :lol:.

Not sure this counts, but it was fun and it's not clean singlecoils so here ya go:

(not sure why it's not embedding... but I'm also caffeine free right now)

#19 ·
Okay, since I couldn't get points for another SAW this week, I decided to put the bass lines on this one.

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/containment-breach-3-0-2

#20 ·
Haven't gotten a chance to listen to the other entries yet but will do tomorrow.

Another week, another LAW. Channeled my inner Kerry AKA it's just random noise AKA it sounds like I threw the guitar down the wall of the Grand Canyon. :kerry:

#26 ·
I didn't get started on my tune until yesterday. I had a vocal melody stuck in my head and this is one of the rare times I've written an entire song around vocal melodies. Tracked all the music yesterday, spent about 3 hours stuck on programming triplets in Logic's piano roll that had me banging my fuckin' head on the desk until I figured out how to do it. Heading into the studio now to do the vocals then I post it when I'm done. Looks like we've got a good amount of submissions this week....the only positive thing to come from the fucking coronavirus!

Edit-

Just wrapped up vocals....or at least went until my throat took a shit. I haven't sang in forever and while I didn't need to take 100 takes of each line, after doing the chorus a few times I was toast. The only one I don't take issue with is the last one. There's some mix issues I don't dig, I think it's overall compressed a little too hard, but for 12 hours total from start to finish, I've done worse. As I said, this was written around the vocals, I didn't spend a lot of time going on a musical adventure. Started singing it in my car on the way home from work, made a voice note to myself in my phone and worked from there. This surprisingly came out exactly how I was hearing it in my head, well, at least 98% of the way.

There are no keyboards on this, that intro is 6 tracks of acoustics and what sounds like keys is some synth presets in the AxeFX.

#27 ·
Ugh. Here's my turd of the week-

Despite actually writing the riff, I couldn't get a decent recording of the intro riff. The one here was recorded at 75% of the normal tempo. The idea is a finger picked riff ala Jackyl "Down on Me" / Dokken "It's Not Love". Oh well. On to next week..

#28 ·
Gadddamnit, the multi-quote ain't workin' for me.

Brian, that was thrasfuckingtastic!!!!

Budda, for some reason I can hear that in a movie soundtrack, like a Guy Ritchie flick. I dig the progressions throughout it.

Ion1, fuck yeah, I dig the mix on this one more than your usual contributions, I can hear everything better. Love that bit at the end with the alarm clock slowing down!

Randy, glad to be hearing a longer contribution than your previous one! Definitely some KK things at the end, but who, aside from Gilmour, can solo for that long and keep coming up with fresh shit?!

Markus, really dug that one and it's nice to hear some variation in these. Metal is always good, but so is variation. Really dug the buildup towards the end.

Bohmer, that was fucking slick. It thought it was gonna be a straight stoner tune then it thrashed up. Fuckin a right. Video was a good addition. My wife picked up a nice camera for doing make-up vids on YouTube and it was my intention to film the making of my tune but started without setting up a *** and by the time I remembered it would have been me editing drums for the duration.

Totally stoked about the consistency of contributions this round!! We're all going to have an album to release when this is done.

#32 ·
If nothing else good comes from this coronavirus thing, it's certainly brought us way more awesome SAW/CAW/LAW submissions than ever before. Way to go guys!

#33 ·
For sure!

I'm doing a collaboration for my submission this week. My best friend and favorite drummer in the world lives in Nashville, we're going to write a song via Facetime/sending files back and forth. Definitely won't be a metal tune like I've been doing, most definitely it'll be a heavy blues thing. It'll be nice to have real drums on a song for once!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.