Metal Guitarist Forums banner

MG.ORG song, cover and lead challenge season 2, week 1

4K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Connor 
#1 ·
So, here we are, week 1 of the mg.org something for everyone challenge. Xmas has indeed come early, and seeing as we're all trapped indoors anyways at the moment...

This was born out of some people liking doing covers, whilst others like writing songs, with a combination of a few people just not having enough time to do full songs (hence the lead a week). Do one, 2 or all 3. Also, it means I only have to track one of these per week.

Rules are simple, do 1-3 things every week, Post your creations in the weekly thread as soundcloud/youtube links. I'm aiming to get various contributions for backing tracks, each one will be credited to the author. As it's the first week I'm doing a dropbox download, but we should get some dedicated hosting or something like that courtesy of chris.

The deadline for this week is end of play, Sunday 29th November

Short rules:
- You have until sunday midnight/monday morning to post your submission
- Either do an original song, a cover/medley or a lead over the provided backing track per week.
- Submissions must be stuff you've done this week, no matter how awesome an old track/recording is
- 10 points for each submission, per category.
- submissions as souncloud or youtube links. Well, as long as it is playable from a post in the thread really.
- You can do multiple entries per category, but only the first one will score points.
- no eliminations, do your stuff as and when you can
- leads can be layer, melodies, you can chop and rearrange the track, whatever floats your boat really
- Don't be a dick to other people. You can go to ss.org for that.
- Don't steal other peoples songs
- Don't steal backing tracks or pass it off as your own, give credit where it's due if you want to share your awesome yngwie malmsteen unleash the fjokking fjury face melting solo.

LAW Track:

This weeks LAW track is courtesy of Buddha
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4xmopfyj7wcb9k/mg.org LAW 2 Dmin 100bpm.mp3?dl=0

See less See more
#2 ·
Bummer - my whole set up is packed away 'cause we're moving soon. Well, at least I can enjoy all the cool stuff everyone else creates this season. I did write a new one in under a week just before I packed everything up - maybe I'll submit that and get negative points for breaking the law.

#3 ·
Cool. I have some new toys to try out - got Jamstix to hopefully make the drum programming a bit less tedious, and then I also got Archetype:plini, i.e. I'm fully equipped for posting djent-mixtests!

I actually have no idea who Plini is or what his music sounds like, so I'm not sure if his stuff is supposed to djent or not.

#8 ·
Just cause I don't want to feel left out.

And, cause I like storytime.

Here's the tale:

When Moose died last month, as many of you know I inherited his bass. His daughter, Jamie, is a pretty incredible singer and he always wanted she and I to do vocals on a song together. He got the bass 'cause I wanted him to join one of my old bands back in the 90s. During the week of his funeral, I got the idea to do an EP with Jamie, Mike Bossier (Snipers of Babel), Chris Yuestella (Abominog), Pete Reid (Abominog/Tranquil Terror) and release it on Bandcamp for $5 (or whatever donation people want to give) with all the proceeds going to his memorial fund for his family.

So, this song was written with his bass and will appear on that aforementioned EP, that should drop early next year. Bossier is going to mix & master it at Oblivion Studios, and we're hoping to get it promoted all over to help his widow and grandkids who live with them out financially.

All that to say, I wrote/recorded it in a week, just not this week. The studio we built in his basement back in the 90s was called "Sound Wizard Studios" and he was dubbed "The Sound Wizard" hence the title...

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/the-sound-wizard-5-1-3

#10 ·
There's 3 categories:

1. Lead a Week - this is played over the backing track in the first post
2. Cover a Week - this can be whatever song you'd like to make a cover of
3. Song a Week - write you'r own song from scratch

You can participate in all three, although I think most of us did one or max two categories per week last time around.

#12 ·
Looking forward to hearing it.

You can always go back through the older threads to see what people submitted previously, too. Very few 100% complete original tracks, so don't kill yourself thinking you have to do something release ready.

#17 ·
No surprise that Iron1 would be the first one in. Dude is a machine. :lol: I like the breakdown in the middle but I love beats with the hi hats on the "and" of the beat.

Here's mine. the other week Vinnie Moore's "Free" popped up in my music library and I wanted to write something like that.....but ended up with this. Oh well. Part of me wants to work on the solo a little more but I got too many other things to do this weekend so here it is..

#20 ·
I can totally hear Stephen Pearcy singing to this. Great job! And, glad you dig my entry - unfortunately it'll be my last one for at least a few weeks, if not the rest of the year.

I'll post up what I've got so far, as well. I'd like to clean-up the rhythms a bit, maybe add some leads/noodles here and there. It definitely needs lyrics, but I haven't sang in months (I was doing half singing duties in my ZZ Top tribute band), so I think I'll hold off on those for now, but leads and diddles can be done up by Sunday for sure...

https://soundcloud.com/wildealien/201123-1a
This is dirty, heavy, nasty & angry - in other words, all the things I love. :lol: Like Scole's I could hear vocals on it, but more a Chris Cornell effort than a Pearcy one.

#18 ·
I'll post up what I've got so far, as well. I'd like to clean-up the rhythms a bit, maybe add some leads/noodles here and there. It definitely needs lyrics, but I haven't sang in months (I was doing half singing duties in my ZZ Top tribute band), so I think I'll hold off on those for now, but leads and diddles can be done up by Sunday for sure...

https://soundcloud.com/wildealien/201123-1a

#25 ·
Excellent, as always. When are you going to finish all these SAW tracks you've done? Surely you have enough for an album by now.

Here's mine

Relatively satisfied with the result - it does need some polishing, but I can do that sometime later.
Dig it, heavy and bleak. Good job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.