Metal Guitarist Forums banner

The MMA Thread

Tags
mma
85K views 1K replies 50 participants last post by  Joshua 
#1 ·
So, in news -

1. WEC. Mike Brown Defends his featherweight title at the latest WEC, against the always awesome Uriah Faber. Faber breaks his right hand, and damages his left in the fight, and basically has to compete with many of his weapons nullified. Great fight! Plus, there was some serious good action on the card, like the 8 second TKO of Cub Swanson by Jose Aldo Jr. Flying Knee FTMFW! Also, legendary fighter and all-around swell dude 'Little Evil' Jens Pulver was submitted in lightning fashion. One of the tightest Guillotine Chokes I've ever seen, and I've seen a few! Even put on a couple (and had a couple put on me). Wow! Look out for Josh Grispi!

2. The man who Beat Fedor Emilianenko in the world combat ***** championships (points - Fedor was the Combat ***** World champ 3-years running) is set to make his MMA debut. Looks like they're gearing up for a rematch, under MMA rules.

News - The man who beat Fedor to make MMA debut | MMAFighting.com

3. Kimbo Slice returns to TV. He's signed on for the next installment of TUF (The Ultimate Fighter). Looks like A) he took Dana's challenge to heart, and B) he needs some mofuckin' money. :lol: Should be interesting though, as this season will feature heavyweights. Also, IFL standout Roy Nelson, and talented HW fighter Wes Sims will be on the cast. Filming has already begun.

Roy Nelson and Wes Sims Join Kimbo Slice On TUF 10: The Heavyweights | Bleacher Report

In other assorted news, Robbie Lawler got submitted this last week by uber-jiu-jitsu mack daddy Jake Shields. Didn't see this fight (yet), but I'm a bit shocked. Robbie is by no means invincible, but goddamn, does he fight. His battles with Scott 'Hands of Steel' Smith were epic. Especially the first, on the old, lamented, gone but not forgotten Elite XC.

See less See more
#4 ·
'Bout time we had a sticky for this shit!! :wub:

Plus, there was some serious good action on the card, like the 8 second TKO of Cub Swanson by Jose Aldo Jr. Flying Knee FTMFW!
Yes!! What a FUCKING KNEE!! That was sooo damn devastating! Just rediculous!!

And what about Andre Arlovski getting KTFO by Brett Rogers in Strikeforce?! Wow!! I liked Rogers in EliteXC. Interesting to see him beat Arlovski.

#6 ·
In other assorted news, Robbie Lawler got submitted this last week by uber-jiu-jitsu mack daddy Jake Shields. Didn't see this fight (yet), but I'm a bit shocked. Robbie is by no means invincible, but goddamn, does he fight. His battles with Scott 'Hands of Steel' Smith were epic. Especially the first, on the old, lamented, gone but not forgotten Elite XC.
Not invincible at all. I thought Shields looked really tight and tentative, but once he got Robbie's neck it was all over. And isn't it somewhere in JuJitsu 101 that when someone gets you in a guillotine or a triangle that you don't try to slam them through the mat (unless your Rampage Jackson) because the hold typically gets much tighter at that point?

I know many of these guys have gone their different ways at this point but haven't all of those core Miletich guys looked like the MMA world is just passing them by? Hughes, Lawler, Silvia, Pulver?

The fight to watch from the other night was the Diaz-Smith fight. Diaz could probably check his attitude at the door - but that guy has been bringing it here lately.

#8 ·
Cheick Kongo's dumb ass being wailed on for 15 minutes despite rocking Cain Velasquez with 3 of the 4 punches he landed
No doubt... Kongo really showed that he had no ground game in that one; completely dominated, where I actually thought he was going to knock out Velasquez at any moment in the beginning of both round one and two.

I figured Franklin would come out on top one way or another. Wandy's got a predictable style, and Franklin did a good job of countering blows with him.

The Cro Cop fight will no doubt get a bunch of flack because that was one serious finger in the eye, but what can you do? He went at him after that and it was a referee stoppage.

#10 ·
If Kongo had actually showed some proficiency on the ground (ie. not rolling to his back or turteling up every time) then it might have been a better fight.

But it's true, the sad thing is he would have probably dominated that fight, if not gotten a major knockout, if he could have kept it standing.

#14 ·
Dan Mirgliotta has joined Yves Lavigne in the category of WORST REFEREE EVER!!!

Fucking HELL?!?!?! How could he NOT SEE that Al-Turk had turned his back and covered his face?!? That's an EASY SIGN that he was not engaging Cro Cop, nor did he have any intention of engaging Cro Cop further!!

Dan should have stepped in and asessed the situation, and then either called it a TKO at that point, or realized it was a eye poke (like I FUCKING DID) and given Al-Turk 5 mins to recover. That was total shit. Dan sucks as a ref.

Silva vs. Franklin, well, what can you say? Silva is not the same fighter he was in Pride. He's lost that killer instinct, and instead of just overpowering fighters with bunches of punches and ruthless aggression... he walks in there all sorts of tentative and cautious. He'll never be what he used to be. But I think Franklin winning by unanimous decision is a UFC decision, not a judge's decision. Unanimous is bullshit. That shoulda been a split decision. But totally hard to decide a winner... wouldn't have wanted to be a judge.

And I'm happy Cain beat the fuck outta Congo. I haven't liked Congo since he won that decision over Cro Cop that was bullshit... CroCop shoulda won that fight. But I digress.

Dan Hardy's fight with Marcus Davis was probably the most exciting fight of the night. Loved that one.

#18 ·
Are you kidding?? Herb's one of the better ones! Big John McCarthy, Herb Dean, Mario Yamasaki, and Steve Mazzagatti are good in my eyes. Obviously nobody's perfect, and there's scenarios where certain vantage points may make for bad calls by the ref. But BJ, Herb, Mario, and Steve have seen more fights than anyone else, and have better judgement IMO. Yves and Dan, however, have made shitty shitty mistakes time and time again.

#19 ·
i'm trying to think of the fight, but i just cant remember it, but it was probably the worst reffing i'v ever seen and it was herb dean, then the next fight i saw him ref i was thinking in my head, "he should have stopped the fight right there" and then after the fight was over, my wife looked over at me and said something to the effect of what a shitty ref herb dean was :lol:
But i really do agree with mccarthy(obviously), yamasaki, and Mazzagatti(mustache mazzagatti is the man!)

#25 ·
SOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo.................

For those of you NOT keeping up with things:

-Josh Barnett tested positive for a banned substance (steroid) and was denied licensure by CSAC.
-Unable to find a suitable replacement 10 days prior to the fight with Fedor, Afflicition Trilogy, which was scheduled for this Saturday, was cancelled, and Affliction tucked tail and has gone back to a deal with the UFC to sponsor fighters again.
-Rumors are flying everywhere that the UFC is going to sign Fedor now, but:

M-1 Global says Fedor, UFC not close to a deal
By Josh Gross, SI.com

Denying a published report Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times, M-1 Global officials told SI.com that Fedor Emelianenko and the Ultimate Fighting Championship are not close to finalizing a deal that would bring mixed martial arts' top heavyweight in the Octagon.

"I can give you a guarantee it's not accurate," said Apy Echteld of M-1 Global, a St. Petersburg, Russia-based promotion and management company of which Emelianenko is an equity stakeholder.

According to the Times' report -- which referenced an unnamed source unaffiliated with the UFC and "with information about the negotiations" -- UFC president Dana White was set to announce the signing of Emelianenko on Friday. The source also said negotiations between the top MMA promoter and the Russian champion's camp were "very civil," and that both groups were discussing details on the pending public announcement.

Echteld declined to comment on negotiations between M-1 Global and the UFC, which are rumored to be taking place Tuesday in Los Angeles. He pointed to a press conference Wednesday in Anaheim, Calif., for "important" news on Emelianenko's fate.
Crazy turnabout of events. Who knows what to believe at this point. Guess we'll know the real story on Friday, when the 'supposed' announcement will be made.

#26 ·
Crazy Crazy stuff - Barnett fucks up for a second time and sets off a chain of events that implode Affliction. Wow! It's too bad - I have liked the affliction shows and was looking forward to some of the matches on this card.

I know Dana is like a shark - but supposedly Fedor had some pretty crazy demands about signing his whole team and his ability to still compete in ***** competitions. Curious to see what happens but Zuffa needs to get Fedors ass in the UFC.

Also too bad because some good stateside competition for the UFC would be good in my opinion. I watched the last Dream event this week and realize how much more I like the old Pride now Dream/K-1 Shows over the UFC. I of course have my favorites in the UFC but I'm sick of the format of the PPV's. Seems like a lot of time wasting - I don't need to see 15 minutes of the fighters entering the ring to "Eye of the Tiger" how about showing us another fight for our money? Without the competition Dana will do what ever he wants as the 800lb gorilla.

#27 ·
Not surprised at all about Barnett getting popped. I'm actually surprised he didn't time his cycles better...

Fedor will definitely be in the UFC soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's not fighting by the end of this year. It's going to have to be a big one, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Lesnar. They're going to have to sell big tickets.

#30 ·
^boo
What sort of HW competition does Strikeforce have? Every heavyweight in Strikeforce will be in the great position of having the potential to be the first fighter to actually beat Fedor.

I heard something last week that I wasn't aware of - Inside MMA I think was the source - said the reason Fedor is so crazy about co-promotion of M-1 with UFC is that he personally owns a portion of M-1 along with his manager. That M-1 is supposed to be his retirement venture so he feels very strong about growing the brand.

The interesting part is that when the UFC was dead in the early days they were begging for co-promotion - now that they are king of the heap they want nothing to do with it. I guess that's business:shrug:

#31 ·
The interesting part is that when the UFC was dead in the early days they were begging for co-promotion - now that they are king of the heap they want nothing to do with it. I guess that's business:shrug:
Why would they? Hard work got the ufc into the spotlight, then ol'boris comes in and wants half all the sudden. Not to mention the Fertadas sporting licences prohibits co-promos

#34 ·
20% aye? Just curious Bob, where'd you read that from? Cuz I've been looking forever to find out just how much stake he has in M-1 and couldn't find anything LOL.

Yeah, both sides are running their shows from a business standpoint, and you can't do much about that but understand their views. The UFC built their brand name / MMA from rock bottom. Then M-1 comes along, trying to make their name, and wants 50% of the UFC's profits? Never gonna happen. The UFC doesn't need Fedor. They want him, but they'll sell just as many PPVs as they are currently, which is seeing them in the black, not the red.

Fedor, having a 20% stake in M-1, is double-dipping in his fighting, cuz he'll get his fight purse AND 20% of the 50% of the whole event (so theoretically, 10% of any event he fights in). And that'll add up to more than the $30 mil the UFC offered him, in the long run I'd think.

#37 ·
WOW!!!

Update: Coker Responds to ?Strikefarce? Comment; Fedor, M-1 Swing Back at UFC

Emelianenko was also skeptical of the UFC's practices.

"From my viewpoint, the UFC does not have the proper attitude towards fighters," said Emelianenko. "They don't consider fighters to be normal people, human beings. What I think (is) that the UFC's attitude towards the fighters is not the correct one and I don't like their policy, which appears to be (a) really forced one, because the offer which we got was one kind, then on the Internet they published (an) absolutely different offer. The offer that we got from them was really miserable."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.