Metal Guitarist Forums banner

The MMA Thread

Tags
mma
85K views 1K replies 50 participants last post by  Joshua 
#1 ·
So, in news -

1. WEC. Mike Brown Defends his featherweight title at the latest WEC, against the always awesome Uriah Faber. Faber breaks his right hand, and damages his left in the fight, and basically has to compete with many of his weapons nullified. Great fight! Plus, there was some serious good action on the card, like the 8 second TKO of Cub Swanson by Jose Aldo Jr. Flying Knee FTMFW! Also, legendary fighter and all-around swell dude 'Little Evil' Jens Pulver was submitted in lightning fashion. One of the tightest Guillotine Chokes I've ever seen, and I've seen a few! Even put on a couple (and had a couple put on me). Wow! Look out for Josh Grispi!

2. The man who Beat Fedor Emilianenko in the world combat ***** championships (points - Fedor was the Combat ***** World champ 3-years running) is set to make his MMA debut. Looks like they're gearing up for a rematch, under MMA rules.

News - The man who beat Fedor to make MMA debut | MMAFighting.com

3. Kimbo Slice returns to TV. He's signed on for the next installment of TUF (The Ultimate Fighter). Looks like A) he took Dana's challenge to heart, and B) he needs some mofuckin' money. :lol: Should be interesting though, as this season will feature heavyweights. Also, IFL standout Roy Nelson, and talented HW fighter Wes Sims will be on the cast. Filming has already begun.

Roy Nelson and Wes Sims Join Kimbo Slice On TUF 10: The Heavyweights | Bleacher Report

In other assorted news, Robbie Lawler got submitted this last week by uber-jiu-jitsu mack daddy Jake Shields. Didn't see this fight (yet), but I'm a bit shocked. Robbie is by no means invincible, but goddamn, does he fight. His battles with Scott 'Hands of Steel' Smith were epic. Especially the first, on the old, lamented, gone but not forgotten Elite XC.

See less See more
#42 ·
So much for Gina making Cyborg uglier. Only thing ugly was what an ugly beatdown Carano got. Jesus! Cyborg is a baaaad bitch.
A bit disappointing - I thought Gina looked to be holding her own during the stand up but the second they hit the ground - she looked lost. The last couple of times she went down she just turtled up? You can't win a fight from a turtle position. If she want's to continue fighting MMA at a high level she needs to improve her BJJ IMO.

And her beatdown was nothing compared to the beatdown that Babalu took - wow! Gegard Mousasi has really been impressing me. Great performance!

#43 ·
IMO, Gina had a LOT of ring rust!! She look exhausted by the end of that round. And I've seen just about all her EliteXC fights, and she never looked THAT bad after 1 round. Let alone 3.

As for Mousasi, I've seen him before, but forgot who he was until I saw him enter the ring. Then the memory banks kicked in and I was like "Holy shit!! This guy!! This'll be a good fight!"... I was right ;)

#44 ·
I thought the same thing. Gina's got ace standup, but man, Cyborg was just like... doing a BJJ clinic on her, almost. :lol: But Cyborg, she's got it all. Had good takedowns, great ground game, and obviously, some pretty sick standup. She almost reminds me of a younger, female Big Nog.

#48 ·
I thought I've noticed that Gina gasses early in some or her previous fights and felt that five minute rounds would be tough especially knowing that Chris Cyborg was going to press her very hard. I thought she did a great job escaping the ankle lock that Cyborg threw.

Cyborg is very tough and well rounded - although not surprising considering her Chute Boxe credentials.

#53 ·
I liked Vera early on - hope to see a good version of him. At certain times he shows signs of greatness then not so much.

Same with Jardine - do we get Jardine that took Liddell and Jackson all the way or Jardine that gets knocked out in :30 of the first round.

#57 ·
Wow! What an amazing card!

I didn't do my normal '$1 bet' on the Marquardt/Maia fight, cuz I liked them both, but kinda thought Nate would win... SHOULDA BET! What a fucking knockout! And what great ring awareness on Nate's part to know he shoulda pulled that punch when Maia went down. Props to him, mad props!

Couture/Nogueira... fuck!!! What a fight! All the hype was right!!

#60 ·
So yeah, imagine that. Kimbo Slice lost to a seasoned fighter. Color me surprised.

He's a joke. I was going to say his ground game is a joke, but I can't... because its just non-existant in the first place!! And his stand up isn't amazing either. He has done great against non-talent opposition. Put him up against someone with ANY MMA skillz, and he's done for.

Its too bad Dana is cashing in on his name now... I almost feel like the UFC has 'stooped down' in doing this. Its too bad though, because I actually respect Kimbo as a person, because he's a real humble person.

As for Roy Nelson, shit I sure hope he doesn't win TUF. He's already got an ego coming into this thing. And premadonna fighters suck IMO. He's already criticizing Herb Dean for not stopping the fight at the end of the 1st round, saying "Kimbo wasn't intelligently defending himself" which was something he said he was going to do to Kimbo the night before the fight. "Those are the rules"... well you weren't exactly hitting him with anything that was doing damage! You were tapping him in the head with little pansy shots, waiting for the ref to stop the fight... IMO that's not winning a fight, that's using the rules to your advantage. BOO to you sir. BOO I say!!

#61 ·
I wouldn't necessarily say Kimbo's a joke. He's actually pretty humble, admitting he's not an MMA fighter, and he's trying to learn the best he can. I've got to give him credit for that.

As far as Roy Nelson, his attitude needs to go, or he's not going to win any fans. At this stage, it's all about getting a fan base. He's already proved himself as a fighter, now he needs to do something about becoming actually likeable, and that's where I think Kimbo is winning in my book.

I'm actually not overly impressed with the cast this season, or even this season for that matter. Rampage thinks that he's gonna pick the biggest fighter against Rashad's best fighters, and it's really not working out to his advantage. As much as I like Rampage, he seems to have no game plan, and I think Rashad will win this chess match.

#67 ·
This.

I got sucked into this show like a motherfucker, and can't wait for tonight's episode. :lol: Kimbo seems like a pretty nice guy so he's easy to root for. Nelson is just a big fat douche who won by being fat, and because Kimbo hung his leg out there for that easy takedown.

Non TUF: Machida is the man, can't wait for 104. :metal:

#64 ·
That whole fight was bullshit. IMO Dean should have stood them up due to lack of activity. Those punches couldn't knock out my wife let alone Kimbo. To me that intelligently defending shit should only be used when a guy is being really rocked which Kimbo obviously wasn't. Roy is a piece of shit who basically used a technicality to win. Because he knew if he stood up he was going to get KTFO. UFC should consider doing like the Japanese do which is give a guy like Roy a yellow card for stalling and take part of his pay - that it would shut his fat mouth up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.