Page 1 of 142 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The MMA Thread

ME: Ibanez RG2027XVV
    MA: Ibanez AEL207E
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: GNX1101/Zoom A3

The MMA Thread

So, in news -

1. WEC. Mike Brown Defends his featherweight title at the latest WEC, against the always awesome Uriah Faber. Faber breaks his right hand, and damages his left in the fight, and basically has to compete with many of his weapons nullified. Great fight! Plus, there was some serious good action on the card, like the 8 second TKO of Cub Swanson by Jose Aldo Jr. Flying Knee FTMFW! Also, legendary fighter and all-around swell dude 'Little Evil' Jens Pulver was submitted in lightning fashion. One of the tightest Guillotine Chokes I've ever seen, and I've seen a few! Even put on a couple (and had a couple put on me). Wow! Look out for Josh Grispi!

2. The man who Beat Fedor Emilianenko in the world combat Sambo championships (points - Fedor was the Combat Sambo World champ 3-years running) is set to make his MMA debut. Looks like they're gearing up for a rematch, under MMA rules.

News - The man who beat Fedor to make MMA debut | MMAFighting.com

3. Kimbo Slice returns to TV. He's signed on for the next installment of TUF (The Ultimate Fighter). Looks like A) he took Dana's challenge to heart, and B) he needs some mofuckin' money. Should be interesting though, as this season will feature heavyweights. Also, IFL standout Roy Nelson, and talented HW fighter Wes Sims will be on the cast. Filming has already begun.

Roy Nelson and Wes Sims Join Kimbo Slice On TUF 10: The Heavyweights | Bleacher Report

In other assorted news, Robbie Lawler got submitted this last week by uber-jiu-jitsu mack daddy Jake Shields. Didn't see this fight (yet), but I'm a bit shocked. Robbie is by no means invincible, but goddamn, does he fight. His battles with Scott 'Hands of Steel' Smith were epic. Especially the first, on the old, lamented, gone but not forgotten Elite XC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: none
    MA: Seagull!
    MB: None.
    Rig: Hd500->V300->Mesa 212

Does anybody else feel Kimbo Slice is extremely overrated? I mean his stand up is alright but his ground game is

ME: Agile Pendulum
    MA: Ibanez EW20ASENT
    MB: Ibanez
    Rig: Line6 Pod Farm

Quote Originally Posted by stealthtastic View Post
    Does anybody else feel Kimbo Slice is extremely overrated? I mean his stand up is alright but his ground game is
    A Duh!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: '89 Jackson RR1 Cust
    Rig: TriAxis/G-Force/2:90 Rack

'Bout time we had a sticky for this shit!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
    Plus, there was some serious good action on the card, like the 8 second TKO of Cub Swanson by Jose Aldo Jr. Flying Knee FTMFW!
    Yes!! What a FUCKING KNEE!! That was sooo damn devastating! Just rediculous!!

And what about Andre Arlovski getting KTFO by Brett Rogers in Strikeforce?! Wow!! I liked Rogers in EliteXC. Interesting to see him beat Arlovski.

ME: Ibanez RG2027XVV
    MA: Ibanez AEL207E
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: GNX1101/Zoom A3

Arlovski is a banger. Without a chin of iron, it's always a somewhat dangerous strategy. Makes for exciting fights, though.

ME: Warmoth Tele
    Rig: Axe FX II -> Carvin PM12A

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
    In other assorted news, Robbie Lawler got submitted this last week by uber-jiu-jitsu mack daddy Jake Shields. Didn't see this fight (yet), but I'm a bit shocked. Robbie is by no means invincible, but goddamn, does he fight. His battles with Scott 'Hands of Steel' Smith were epic. Especially the first, on the old, lamented, gone but not forgotten Elite XC.
    Not invincible at all. I thought Shields looked really tight and tentative, but once he got Robbie's neck it was all over. And isn't it somewhere in JuJitsu 101 that when someone gets you in a guillotine or a triangle that you don't try to slam them through the mat (unless your Rampage Jackson) because the hold typically gets much tighter at that point?

I know many of these guys have gone their different ways at this point but haven't all of those core Miletich guys looked like the MMA world is just passing them by? Hughes, Lawler, Silvia, Pulver?

The fight to watch from the other night was the Diaz-Smith fight. Diaz could probably check his attitude at the door - but that guy has been bringing it here lately.

Anyone else watch UFC 99? I found it just in time to watch Cro Cop's weak win, Cheick Kongo's dumb ass being wailed on for 15 minutes despite rocking Cain Velasquez with 3 of the 4 punches he landed, and Wanderlei Silva being robbed blind.

Quote Originally Posted by pardon miasma View Post
    Cheick Kongo's dumb ass being wailed on for 15 minutes despite rocking Cain Velasquez with 3 of the 4 punches he landed
    No doubt... Kongo really showed that he had no ground game in that one; completely dominated, where I actually thought he was going to knock out Velasquez at any moment in the beginning of both round one and two.

I figured Franklin would come out on top one way or another. Wandy's got a predictable style, and Franklin did a good job of countering blows with him.

The Cro Cop fight will no doubt get a bunch of flack because that was one serious finger in the eye, but what can you do? He went at him after that and it was a referee stoppage.