Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Jose Mangin and Rich Ward discuss 90's metal

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Randy 
#1 ·
Following on from the other Rich Ward video I posted, this got suggested to me, and it's a great video, because 90's metal is what I grew up on.

#3 ·
You're knocking it out of the park Mattayus. Can't disagree with any of the picks in here, I even found myself agreeing with Brose who I can't normally stand. All of Rich's picks were spot on with what was blowing my mind in the 90's and I loved the justification he put behind his choices, I don't think the first Korn record has held up that well but as a force of complete change at the time I can't argue with it.

I probably would have dropped one Pantera record and put in Burn my Eyes by Machine head, but then I've also just thought about Domination by Morbid Angel, I can see myself going down rabbit holes this afternoon trying to figure out what mine would be

Edit: My brain is now going 'But what about Strapping Young Lad? What about Carcass? What about At the Gates? Sepultura, Biohazard, The Almighty, Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar' Aaaaagggghh

#4 ·
I was at a Six Feet Under show in Brooklyn to meet up with Ola. My friend kept on ordering Jack Daniels double shoots. They were putting them in plastic cups and filling them half way. Needless to say I was hammered after 5 of those and a few beers. I was standing close to the bar and Jose Mangin is right next to me. As soon as I saw him, I grabbed Jose by the neck and pulled him over. He was mid sentence talking to someone. He looking very annoyed yet concerned at the same time. Needless to say the conversation was short. And it turns out he was talking to Brian Slagel. Good thing I am way bigger than him or he would've kicked my ass. Lol

#10 ·
Carcass upended everything with Heartwork bringing all that melody into the brutality.

When Korn blew up, it was really noticeable across the board when i was in high school. Shredders started becoming old hat, kids weren't learning the shred stuff, lower tunings....That being said, Korn definitely changed the whole landscape with bringing 7's out of the shred realm and into the more mainstream hands.

#12 ·
When Korn blew up, it was really noticeable across the board when i was in high school. Shredders started becoming old hat, kids weren't learning the shred stuff, lower tunings....That being said, Korn definitely changed the whole landscape with bringing 7's out of the shred realm and into the more mainstream hands.
I've NEVER cared for Korn, but the one thing I'll say for them is after they blew up, there were a lot more good seven strings on the market.

Of course, there were also a lot more people telling me "oh, a seven string? Why not tune a six strong lower? Those things are shitty for anything but metal anyway." So, it was a trade-off. :lol:

#14 ·
"Nobody sounded like them" is just the soundbyte friendly "throw this in the preface of the booklet for their career spanning boxset attributed to someone influential" way of saying, "Before Korn, no one was stupid enough to replace the section of a song where a guitar solo would normally go with a white man with dreadlocks frantically beatboxing".

You know the old adage, "If you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything at all..... or say 'at the time, no one sounded like them'."

I hate it when you get one of those retrospectives and it's just the standard crew of VH1 guest appearance people saying shit like that. I fucking love Black Sabbath, but even the book that came with the Black Box set is fucking terrible like that. You have all the standard guys saying that shit. Rob Zombie, Nikki Sixx, Kat Von D, Scott Ian, etc. etc. etc.

And it's clear that Rob Zombie has never actually listened to a full Black Sabbath album, some publicist just spoon fed him the standard "people will want this for a retrospective" quote.

"When I put this on for the first time I thought, 'nobody sounded like these guys'." is the most boilerplate shit ever.

Unless if you are talking about Jackyl introducing to the chainsaw solo to the world of music of course, then it's justified.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.