Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car shopping

ME: PRS
    MB: VM Jazz
    Rig: JCM800

Car shopping

Here's where we're at:

0) budget $20,000 all in
    1) 2010 Toyota Matrix MT, base w/ touring pkg (alloys/fog lights/spoiler/light tint
    2) 305500km as of today - add 450km tomorrow when I go to the next band practice.
    3) Paid off as of December
    4) Engine light on (quoted $1200 repair), big windshield crack (around $500), probably some other stuff.
    5) Replacement transmission (60k on trans) + new clutch January 2017 - transmission probably around 100k km now.

The matrix has been a learning experience (never drove manual til I got it). There's a ton of options for my budget, and compound that with being within a comfortable distance of Toronto for deals. I'm willing to drive to save a few thousand bucks (and already do it losing a few hundred ).

The main list:
    - 2017+ Hyundai Elantra GL (potentially 2018)
    - 2015+ Toyota Corolla LE
    - 2014+ Honda Civic
    - 2016+ Nissan Sentra SV

I initially came in guns blazing for the elantra due to features, price and opportunity to buy a low-mileage vehicle. Reliability is pretty high on the list, after having had to replace the transmission in my car. I have yet to factually dive into the expected maintenance costs of the cars on my list. I know that Honda and Toyota are still tops for reliability, and it seems the Toyotas come in for a little bit less for equivalent cars.

The immediate future is still doing roughly 1000km a week until winter 2020, except for touring (3-4 months 2019/2020). I'm expecting to put between 60k and 80k on my next vehicle within the first two years, then 25k/yr after that. Lower mileage is preferred for that reason, especially on CPO's that still have some warranty left. Honda has 7yr/160k warranty which means even a 2015 civic will have some coverage after touring life is done.

After touring, I suspect we will be starting a family 3-5 years. My initial plan is to have my next vehicle going into that phase of my life, and I feel that the cars on my list fit that requirement. I don't know yet if I want to drive it into the ground or not.

Subaru and VW have been left off the list mostly due to cost to repair - I won't have a lot of $$ to throw at that until tour retirement and want a few years hassle free (who doesn't).

Is there a clear winner here or am I correct in that my options are pretty even across the board?

I'll be digging into Consumer Reports at the library for longevity info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605

When I was looking at new cars, I've heard the newer Nissan's have had drivetrain issues - specifically the transmission if I recall correctly, and after going through issues with my '14 Focus's transmission module, I never want to deal with another transmission problem again. My 2014 Civic was solid as a daily driver, didn't have any flash to the interior, so after going to my Ford, looking back I was kind of surprised at how minimal it was. Nothing bad, just don't expect to be wowed. I imagine the Corollas are a lateral move as well, same simple engine and transmission under the hood, just different shell.

ME: PRS
    MB: VM Jazz
    Rig: JCM800

My interior is pretty sparse . Since I drive 10 hours a week, comfortable front seats are pretty important. I was happy with first impressions of the elantra, haven't managed to try the rest. Took a 2014 acura ILX out, it was pretty underwhelming.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I've heard someone refer to the RG550 as the Toyota Corolla of guitars - so perhaps the Toyota Corolla is the RG550 of cars
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Not much to contribute other than my experience being that, of your list, Toyota and Honda retain their value the most historically.

I had some bad experiences with Hyundai years back but I got a 'can't miss' price on a used Sonata (2010) from a friend of mine as just something to drive to work and I was surprised at how much they'd improved. I got the car with ~200,000 miles and I've put another ~70,000 miles on it since, having to do nothing more than oil changes, tires and brakes like normal.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

If the Honda is manual with relativly low miles it is the winner of that group as far as reliability etc, Nissan and Toyota have had issues with those models, and I know they all have, but Honda is a known better quality car...one of the reasons they dont discount as much at dealers when new. JMHO
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

Check out a used XV Crosstrek too. Great little car, fantastic MPG, great in the snow, plenty of room and they were only ~25kish loaded w/leather, nav, camera, heated seats, etc.

Leaving Subaru off the list because of cost of repair, but putting a Hyundai at the top of the list is a head scratcher. Subaru makes good cars.

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I've heard someone refer to the RG550 as the Toyota Corolla of guitars - so perhaps the Toyota Corolla is the RG550 of cars
    They're doing a Corolla hatchback too

My Camry wasn't particularly fast or pretty, but it got me from point A to point B, had decent gas mileage, held a ton of stuff, and was pretty low maintenance (until a lifetime of Vermont road salt and sitting mostly unused for 2 years destroyed the undercarriage and wheels). Granted, it was a 2002 (it's been 17 years since it rolled off the line) but Toyota seems to have a pretty good lock on making a decent bang for the buck car.

Granted, I'm probably the last person you want telling you about cars, as I don't even own one anymore
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion