NBMWD (Mulch > Gravel) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBMWD (Mulch > Gravel)

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I was able to opt-in to having a gardener with my current place, and I totally did, for the same reason

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I do, in fact.

This is the first year I've ever used a landscape service. I love working in the yard and especially on the lawn, but hiring it out frees up a few hours a week that I can spend with my son instead.
    You have a gardener but you couldn't spring for gravel?

You have to have gravel so you can park a steer skull somewhere in there. You can't have a steer skull with wood chips, it doesn't look right.

That's literally the centerpiece of any well thought out landscaping venture. The steer skull.

I guarantee every time your neighbors walk past they are like, "They seem like a nice family, but the landscaping is seriously lacking."

You'll never become president of the home owners association if you don't have a steer skull in your landscaping display. Most self respecting communities even have it as a requirement in the covenant and by-laws.

That's the #1 home ownership mistake people make. They think, "My landscaping isn't desert/western themed, I don't even have any cacti/succulents/drought resistant plants. A steer skull wouldn't be appropriate for this geographical location." Wrong. The steer skull is always appropriate. I mean, it's not like society is asking you to mount a long horn skull on the front of your Cadillac like some manic Texan. Just the standard classy steer skull. You lack of steer skull is probably dragging down property values for your entire subdivision.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    You have a gardener but you couldn't spring for gravel?
    Mulch > Gravel

Maybe gravel is a midwest thing? I rarely see it at all around here. I do need to up my steer skull game. Can I substitute a Danzig belt buckle?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Mulch > Gravel

Maybe gravel is a midwest thing? I rarely see it at all around here. I do need to up my steer skull game. Can I substitute a Danzig belt buckle?
    You might be right, the east coast people with expensive vacation homes out here sometimes substitute the classic gravel and skull combination for multiple billowing Gadsden flags.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    You might be right, the east coast people with expensive vacation homes out here sometimes substitute the classic gravel and skull combination for multiple billowing Gadsden flags.
    I'm from the Northeast though. No Gadsden flags up here, we just hate everyone equally. It's cold, dark and miserable for 6 months of the year. Then it's humid and the temperature of the sun for 3 months. These are bookended with a couple of decent weather months that herald things like "Deer fly season", "deer tick season" and "greenhead season".

This is the land of the trVe. TrVe grVm mVlch.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Gravel is a West and South thing. In the Midwest we call it, "stone," though we typically would use mulch, since dead plant material is readily available.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Well this thread went in all sorts of awesome unexpected directions.

If the new Quigsmobile is a slightly bigger version of the old Quigsmobile, then it should indeed be pimp.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Gravel is a West and South thing. In the Midwest we call it, "stone," though we typically would use mulch, since dead plant material is readily available.
    GTFO, Chris is pulling some Victorian English era bullshit implying a preference for gravel is a result of "the provincial tastes of the western savages".

It happens all the time throughout history. That's where the insult "provincial" comes from. Some fucking sick trend takes hold in a more recently colonized area and the people back east turn up their noses at it. England did the same thing to the original colonies.

It happened with lobsters. Lobsters weren't always viewed as a luxury food. People back in England were like, "those god damn colonists are eating the sea bugs, what barbaric, provincial tastes".

But history proved that England and the original English colonists were wrong about lobsters, just like Chris is wrong about mulch being superior to gravel.

Seriously, look up the lobster stuff. Lobster was once considered low quality food for savages. https://psmag.com/economics/how-lobster-got-fancy-59440

You can dismiss gravel as a result of savage provincial tastes as much as you want, but mulch doesn't make a pleasing, relaxing sound during heavy rainfall.