NPorscheD - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NPorscheD

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I actually said something to the sales guy about it, because he kept saying Pawhr-Schah. Same with the finance guy. It's so over the top douchey sounding, and I say that as a guy that's owned 4 BMWs. I say it as one syllable, like "poursche."

Yeah, I know what you mean. Even though that's not the way it's pronounced in German (in German it's pronounced "Por-shah" / "Por-sheh"), in English most people pronounce it "Porsh." Kind of like how when I say Japanese car names in English such as Honda and Mazda, I don't pronounce them with the correct Japanese pronunciation (Mazda is actually "Matsuda," for example). I pronounce them with the common American English pronunciation (like "Mahz-duh" instead of "Matsuda"). As a side-note, in Japanese, Porsche is pronounced "Poru-sheh."

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Even though that's not the way it's pronounced in German (in German it's pronounced "Por-shah" / "Por-sheh"), in English most people pronounce it "Porsh." Kind of like how when I say Japanese car names in English such as Honda and Mazda, I don't pronounce them with the correct Japanese pronunciation (Mazda is actually "Matsuda," for example). I pronounce them with the common American English pronunciation (like "Mahz-duh" instead of "Matsuda"). As a side-note, in Japanese, Porsche is pronounced "Poru-sheh."
    I'm with you on this. With VERY rare exceptions, going out of your way to use an "authentic" pronounciation in place of the de facto western one, as an American, makes you look like a pretentious dick.

...which you'd think I'd be all for, but oddly, no.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Authentic Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul

Porsche should be pronounced as it's spelled and with the original two syllables: "por-shuh." It's a surname in Germany, and it's the way the company pronounces the name of the product in all of it's American advertising and in its own stores.

I see what Eric is saying re: Japanese brand names, however those have been intentionally Anglicized and changed. Nobody in a Mazda dealership pronounces their cars, "Matsuda." But if they did, and they spelled the car "Matsuda," it would be simple to follow suit in everyday language. And it would be a bit insulting to just change it to something sounding like "Mazda" out of laziness.

Further, English is a Germanic language so it's incredibly easy and natural to pronounce it correctly for English speakers. I can imagine it might be a lot more alien for the Japanese to attempt proper German pronunciation "por-shuh." I would wager that if you walk into one of the dealerships located in Japan, they will pronounce it "poru-sheh" as Eric described, instead of trying to correct every Japanese buyer to say it "correctly."

How do you pronounce Alfa Romeo, al-fa ROH-me-oh or al-fa ro-MEY-oh?

Lamborghini is lam-bor-GHEE-nee, even though "GHI" wouldn't normally get that pronunciation in English.

Audi is OW-dee, not AWE-dee. German.

It's odd to me that Porsche is (one of?) the only brand names that many choose to say very incorrectly out of some fear of sounding elitist.

Just my Love the fucking car btw.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

I just saw one of these for sale for ~$30k, a 2013 with 50k miles, and a new one for $160k

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Serious lack of carbon fibre

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'm with you on this. With VERY rare exceptions, going out of your way to use an "authentic" pronounciation in place of the de facto western one, as an American, makes you look like a pretentious dick.
    When Chris took that driveway photo I guarantee at least one set of neighbors in the adjoining houses was watching him do it acidly saying, "Well......they are certainly doing well for themselves.". How he pronounces it isn't going to move the needle that much on the pretentious dick-o-meter.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

The real question here is, did you get the coffee table book to leave around on your glass topped coffee table?

If you don't have the coffee table book, you have to get on that ASAP Quigs. That's an integral part of the ownership experience. Porsche has more coffee table history books than any other brand, some of them are 911 specific, but if you didn't get one and you bought it from a dealer you better go back and get one. You probably need at least two. I assume at least one comes with the car if you buy it new from a dealer, but you have to budget in the appropriate coffee table + stack of coffee table Porsche history books when you buy.

Also, the coffee table has to be appropriately sick. Usually glass topped. If you don't have the coffee table exhibit going on, featured prominently in your house, people will be like, "yeah, that dude definitely just stole that car, not a trve Porsche owner".

ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Car is fucking awesome btw, loving it after a couple of long rides with it.

Apple Carplay is fucking great, too - having Waze as the in-dash nav is the bomb diggety.
    My lowly CX-5 can be upgraded to carplay/auto so I hope to do that next week. Haven't downloaded Waze yet but it seems to be the commuter standard now.

Congrats again on the new ride .

What do you prefer about this one over the X6?