Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Chainless bike thing?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
I've never seen this, do people have this or is this a one off? Seems pretty cool.

#6 ·
I've not seen it on an actual bike, but this is the second version of this I've seen. It's like shaft drive without stacked gears - I would assume they're helical.
I think you mean HELLA-COOL!!!!111!1!

*Ehm*

Seriously though, that's really cool. Would love to encourage things to make bikes more efficient, maybe I could stop having to drive to work.

#5 ·
Ell. Oh. Ell.

:lol:

IIRC that's a heavily modified Specialized S-Works Venge they have it mounted on, and subsequent testing suggests this will be more aerodynamic than a conventional drivechain as well (makes sense - you're getting the derailleur totally out of the airflow).

The problem here is that this is the most mechanically efficient way to drive a bike produced yet, but getting this system to shift smoothly will be an absolute devil of a task. It COULD work, theoretically, it's just there's a lot more work that needs to be done.

CeramicSpeed has already built a name for themselves producing ultra-high-end ceramic bearings for road bikes, so they're a name you already see all over the peloton (I think the S-Works crankset on my Venge is on a CeramicSpeed bottom bracket).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.