Chainless bike thing?

Thread: Chainless bike thing?

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Chainless bike thing?

I've never seen this, do people have this or is this a one off? Seems pretty cool.

https://imgur.com/gallery/yloZMco
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

I've not seen it on an actual bike, but this is the second version of this I've seen. It's like shaft drive without stacked gears - I would assume they're helical.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

I think if you incorporate that into bikes, the price of bikes could go up to over $300!

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    I think if you incorporate that into bikes, the price of bikes could go up to over $300!
    Ell. Oh. Ell.

IIRC that's a heavily modified Specialized S-Works Venge they have it mounted on, and subsequent testing suggests this will be more aerodynamic than a conventional drivechain as well (makes sense - you're getting the derailleur totally out of the airflow).

The problem here is that this is the most mechanically efficient way to drive a bike produced yet, but getting this system to shift smoothly will be an absolute devil of a task. It COULD work, theoretically, it's just there's a lot more work that needs to be done.

CeramicSpeed has already built a name for themselves producing ultra-high-end ceramic bearings for road bikes, so they're a name you already see all over the peloton (I think the S-Works crankset on my Venge is on a CeramicSpeed bottom bracket).
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Precision
    Rig: Sunn

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've not seen it on an actual bike, but this is the second version of this I've seen. It's like shaft drive without stacked gears - I would assume they're helical.
    I think you mean HELLA-COOL!!!!111!1!

*Ehm*

Seriously though, that's really cool. Would love to encourage things to make bikes more efficient, maybe I could stop having to drive to work.

ME: Parker Fly Mojo
    Rig: Orange OR50

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Ell. Oh. Ell.

IIRC that's a heavily modified Specialized S-Works Venge they have it mounted on, and subsequent testing suggests this will be more aerodynamic than a conventional drivechain as well (makes sense - you're getting the derailleur totally out of the airflow).

The problem here is that this is the most mechanically efficient way to drive a bike produced yet, but getting this system to shift smoothly will be an absolute devil of a task. It COULD work, theoretically, it's just there's a lot more work that needs to be done.

CeramicSpeed has already built a name for themselves producing ultra-high-end ceramic bearings for road bikes, so they're a name you already see all over the peloton (I think the S-Works crankset on my Venge is on a CeramicSpeed bottom bracket).
    I heard it can't take more than 250 or so watts without breaking The problem is that it turns the pedalling force into a lateral load when the 'chainring' is turning the drive shaft, and neither the shaft or ring/sprockets can be stiff enough to not get pushed apart (unless they are really heavy and bulky). IMO this is basically cycling vaporware and probably won't see the light of day on many consumer bikes. Not to mention the tiny size of ceramicspeed as a company compared to the market leading goliaths like Shimano etc, they just don't have the budget to make it to the big time.

However as an exceedingly expensive gadget for rich people to show off to their riding mates, I'm sure it will succeed at emptying a few wallets
    www.facebook.com/theconstruct
    Post metal, for fans of ISIS, Cult of Luna, Neurosis, Gojira etc

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Ror3h View Post
    I heard it can't take more than 250 or so watts without breaking The problem is that it turns the pedalling force into a lateral load when the 'chainring' is turning the drive shaft, and neither the shaft or ring/sprockets can be stiff enough to not get pushed apart (unless they are really heavy and bulky). IMO this is basically cycling vaporware and probably won't see the light of day on many consumer bikes. Not to mention the tiny size of ceramicspeed as a company compared to the market leading goliaths like Shimano etc, they just don't have the budget to make it to the big time.

However as an exceedingly expensive gadget for rich people to show off to their riding mates, I'm sure it will succeed at emptying a few wallets
    ...if it even makes it to production.

Breaking over 250w is, um, pretty low.