VW being investigated for cheating on diesel emissions tests - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: VW being investigated for cheating on diesel emissions tests

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk Krogan View Post
    From what I've read, it sounds like the car monitored the pattern of acceleration and braking and could pick up the sequences used in emissions testing. When it detected one, it would turn on the eco mode, and then turn it back off once it detected the car was being driven normally again.

The NYT is also reporting that they lied about it for a year, claiming that the real-world emissions data not matching the test results was due to some kind of technical glitch.
    Yeah - article I read said they only came clean and stopped stonewalling the EPA when they threatened to withhold certification for 2016 models.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Many emissions tests don't actually rely on tailpipe sensors being used, but instead trust the car's own On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) computer to report the emissions.

I would assume that VW either ran the car in an "Eco test mode" when a device was plugged into the OBD port, or simply just spat out compliant readings instead of actual values for NOx emissions.

ME: Authentic Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul

Yep. The cars, when hooked to a dyno and running the Federal emissions routine, would run in "eco" mode and pass the test. Otherwise they emit up to 40x NOx limit levels. This is pretty criminal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Shares are off nearly 20% today, wiping away 14B EUR (almost $16B USD) in market capitalization. For perspective, 2014 earnings were a little over EUR10B, so that's a huge amount of money.
    For a few years now, VW has had the stated goal of wanting to be the biggest automaker in the world. Bigger than GM, bigger than Toyota. You could see them trying to reach this by doing things like cheapening their mass-market offerings like the North American Jetta model, and now, cheating on emissions tests instead of installing required equipment in order to get the TDI models 50-state compliant.

Perhaps they should have focused on becoming the world's BEST automaker, instead of the biggest, which seems like a stupid, dick-swinging goal to have.

It wouldn't surprise me to see California ban this generation of TDI-equipped cars if VW can't provide a fix.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    For a few years now, VW has had the stated goal of wanting to be the biggest automaker in the world. Bigger than GM, bigger than Toyota. You could see them trying to reach this by doing things like cheapening their mass-market offerings like the North American Jetta model, and now, cheating on emissions tests instead of installing required equipment in order to get the TDI models 50-state compliant.

Perhaps they should have focused on becoming the world's BEST automaker, instead of the biggest, which seems like a stupid, dick-swinging goal to have.

It wouldn't surprise me to see California ban this generation of TDI-equipped cars if VW can't provide a fix.
    What makes this so sad is that diesel is far more fuel efficient than gasoline, yet it has been slow to take hold in North America. This is just going to set things back even further.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

It's more efficient, but less refined, so all kinds more crap gets burned. What's interesting is that Rudolf Diesel designed his engines to run on peanut oil. Petroleum was just cheaper and more plentiful.

A lot of diesel tech has started being adapted over to gasoline engines (high pressure fuel rails, direct injection, turbocharging), so they're talking about gasoline engines potentially approaching diesel efficiency with much less emissions in the next few years.

ME: Guitar?!?!
    Rig: Rig?!?

I wonder why 09 is the cutoff? They've had PD engines since 04, surely they have the same issue with emissions since they're the same technology as the engines in question...