VW being investigated for cheating on diesel emissions tests - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: VW being investigated for cheating on diesel emissions tests

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

It could be due to the years in which tighter emissions standards were implemented, since it's a compliance issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS
    MB: VM Jazz
    Rig: JCM800

This is some serious shit. Curious to see how it plays out.

Glad I didn't buy a 2010 TDI over my Matrix now...

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    It could be due to the years in which tighter emissions standards were implemented, since it's a compliance issue.
    That's exactly it.
    https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t2.php

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Thanks for that, Mike. That's a good read.

"In a statement, VW said: “Discrepancies relate to vehicles with Type EA 189 engines, involving some 11m vehicles worldwide. A noticeable deviation between bench test results and actual road use was established solely for this type of engine."

VW scandal: carmaker admits 11m vehicles are involved | Business | The Guardian

Shit just got a whole lot worse. And VW shares dropped another 20%.

ME: Guitar?!?!
    Rig: Rig?!?

I think it's going to continue to get worse too. It's starting to seem like a systemic problem.

I'm not sure how it could get much worse… unless it's discovered as part of the investigations that VW has cheated on emissions testing for their gas engines as well.

I learned yesterday that nearly all cars these days have a "test" or "dyno" mode that can be enabled. Since having the drive wheels spinning while the non-drive wheels remain stationary would make most ABS/stability control systems freak out, they build in a "test mode" that bypasses these systems and then resets on the next start. VW obviously used this "test mode" as an opportunity to run a different map or enable other parts of the emissions system for the sole purpose of passing an emissions test.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

I think it's going to get a lot worse, actually. The first class-action lawsuit is already in the works. Both the US and Canada have halted all sales of vehicles with the 2.0L TDI engine, which is over 20% of VW's North American sales. While the Volkswagen-Audi group has been profitable, the VW wing has lost money since the 80s (Audi and Porsche prop it up). Right now, I'm waiting for two big things to happen that will probably put an end to VW in North America:

• The EPA orders a halt to all emissions testing of TDI-equipped vehicles on the road produced in 2009 onward. In practical terms, this means that once your emissions inspection comes do (in Virginia, it is every two years), it means you can't re-license your car and continue driving it. How many people are going to be stuck with a car payment on a car that sits idle in their driveway, waiting on a fix from Volkswagen?
    • Volkswagen will eventually deliver a fix, in the form of an ECU update, and it will almost certainly ruin the car. Expect less torque and poorer fuel economy. If these cars had been fitted with a urea injection system from the factory, then it would have been part of the design and engine compartment layout. It's going to be all but impossible (read: way too expensive, probably meaning the replacement of the head or possibly the entire engine), so they'll go with the quick fix. Owners will be pissed that their fuel economy has degraded and the car is now a slug off the line, since most of them would probably have NOT bought the car in that state.

I don't see this ending any other way than VW losing a class-action lawsuit that forces them to buy back every car at full purchase price. That's a bill in the neighborhood of $10 billion--there is no chance of salvaging some of that cost, either, since the ruling will probably be of the "send the car directly to the crusher" variety--and that just covers bullet point two. Bullet point one is going to come with damages payouts for people who were forced to rent a vehicle, take public transport, or buy a new car because they weren't legally permitted to drive theirs, all while the insurance companies still insist on their premiums to cover cars that are under lien. I think it goes without saying that we're talking about half a million people who will never, ever buy another VW again.

None of this covers the owners of non-TDI Volkswagens and Audis. The resale on anything with the VW/Audi badge just took a huge hit. My 2010 Passat has around 90k on it, and my new plan is to drive it until it falls apart and wait for one of those trade-in deals where they take the car in any condition. I've bought VWs for nearly a decade, and put up with their quirks because the driving experience is so much better than most cars available today. VW owners tend to be very loyal, almost like we're a club, but my membership in the club has just been canceled. I'll never buy another product from that company, because there is a very real and significant difference between bean counters cheaping out a few parts to save pennies on the dollar, and willful violation of the law and outright lying to the customer. I'm pretty sure that most of us feel this way, too. I don't see how this ends any way other than VW closing up shop in America permanently.

Seriously, fuck Volkswagen. Yes, I know that they've never had the reliability numbers of a Toyota or Honda, but I was willing to make that trade off for a car that I found more fun to drive; compared to my Passat, a Camry or Accord never lets you forget that it is a bland commuter with no soul. However, I'm absolutely seething with anger over how blatantly I was lied to, and that company won't get a another dime for a new or CPO car as long as I live.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.