Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Buying a new pickup soon...

Tags
buying pickup
4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
My 04 F150 has been showing its age basically since I got it, but it's still worth what I paid for it, and I'm tired of worrying about my main vehicle, so the wife and I decided it was time for me to get a new truck.

I've been shopping for a couple weeks now, test drove a Nissan Frontier, hated its interior, then test drove a Chevy Colorado and just loved it, so that was the mark. I've been looking online for good slightly used models, but anything 2016+ is minimum 25k for the options I want. While looking around, I found a dealer in Houston offering brand new 2018 2WD Z71s with the 308hp V6 for $26,480, which is 8k below what I was quoted at my local dealer for a similar truck :eek:

So I reached out to the Internet sales manager about this, and they matched the price for this truck:

So it's a 2W Z71, tow package, cloth/leatherette seats, 8" touch screen stereo, heated/cooled seats, and the 3.6l 308hp V6 (virtually identical to the Camaro V6 that makes 335hp). I put in a deposit on it, and they'll honor that offer until Feb 28th. I'll be selling my pickup, my 04 Golf, and my Subaru, hopefully before the 28th, but if not I'll still be picking up this truck and selling everything else. Tired of having all the shitboxes to worry about, so I'm paring the herd down to only 2 shitbox BMWs :lol:

This is my first brand new vehicle, ever. I'm pretty excited.

See less See more
#6 ·
FWIW, I totally recommend buying a car through the Costco Buying program. No bullshit whatsoever and pretty painless. Any & all special offers still apply. I've bought 2 Ford Trucks that way ('08 Ranger & '13 F-150) and with both I think the purchase price was basically $400 over dealer invoice, and they show you the dealer invoice. The only downside I can potentially think of is that you have to deal with specific dealerships for each car brand so you might have a situation where the dealership participating in the Costco program in your area might not necessarily be the closest dealership to you.

#7 ·
I started this deal through the Navy Federal auto buying program, and did it ALL through email :lol: I did test drive a Colorado Monday, so I knew what I was getting into, and then the rest was just email. It's been a great experience, better than when I test drove on Monday, by far.

#9 ·
The wife and I worked our asses off this weekend getting the Golf and F150 ready to sell. I painted the drivers side quarter panel, and while that was drying between coats we cleaned inside the truck, we swapped the Golf's ratty cloth black interior for black/tan leather from a Jetta, and I swapped the AC compressor on the Golf. Damn I'm sore.

The base on the rear seats is from a Mk5 Jetta, the top parts are from a Mk4. The front seats are Mk5 Jetta seats.

#21 ·
#22 ·

It's been one day :lol:

I found some blemishes in the paint that I want the dealer to fix, so I'll call them on Monday, have them fix them while they're installing the tonneau cover.

Also washed the F150:

I missed a couple spots while buffing out the new paint on it, so I'll have to go back and work on that, but I'm pooped.

#26 ·

Mudflaps installed. Still waiting on the running boards to be delivered, I'll probably install the this weekend.

My running boards came in, and they're legit awesome. There's one tiny blem, but for $54 I cannot complain.

Funny enough, they shot back up to $415 on Amazon :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.