Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a set of La Bella crazy eights (9-40+54+74) tuned to standard (E-E, B, F#) on my RG2228A. Tension wise the 74 feels great for the F#, but the intonation is off (I can't move the string saddle any further back) plus it doesn't quite have the attack/tone I'd like. I was just looking around and I see D'addario now offers an eight string set that is 9-42+54+65, which I think is the stock gauge Ibanez ships their guitars with. I'm curious to try this set for a few reasons - 1. I much prefer D'addario strings, I've never really got along with La Bella's tone/feel wise and they have broke much more frequently, 2. if I have the smaller gauge string that should help with intonation (i'm not expecting perfection), and 3. The 74 I currently use from La Bella is double wound, so I have to fit the tapered portion through the tuner which is okay but I much prefer my way of stringing up double locking trems (ball end at the tuner, only need to clip the string at one end that way)

I'm just curious from you folks out there that have tried it tension wise how is the 65? I obviously don't mind light gauge since the rest of what I use is 9-40+54 currently :lol:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
I dont know how you guys have such floppy strings for the low f#. I'm playing on a 28.5'' and the .74 is just right for G#. for a 27 inch at f#, i'd have to be pullin like an .85 or .90 atleast

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.