Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fear prompts bobsledders to quit Olympics - CNN.com

CNN) -- Tom de la Hunty took Dutch bobsledder Edwin van Calker to the Whistler Sliding Center track one last time Tuesday and asked his driver if he could do it.

He wasn't asking him to win; he was asking him whether he could compete. The coach and his pilot walked the course, and de la Hunty told van Calker to think about it, giving him an hour to make a decision.

Time offered no healing. Van Calker told his coach he just couldn't drive this track and so on Wednesday the four-man No. 1 sled from the Netherlands pulled out of the Olympics.

Because their driver was terrified.

"I've never seen someone get to a major event and not compete because they're scared. You keep your inner fears to yourself and do it," de la Hunty told reporters at a news conference. "That's why it's such a popular sport in the military. It's that kind of macho sport. You go over the top together."
Van Calker, ranked 11th on the World Cup four-man tour, crashed on his first run during two-man practice on Saturday. That and the memories of other crashes, including one that resulted in two teammates in the hospital, were too much for van Calker.

He never felt comfortable on the track during the two-man competition when he and teammate Sybren Jansma finished 14th. He and the rest of the four-man team were absent from two training runs on Tuesday, as he struggled with what to do. It didn't help that eight sleds crashed on that first day of training.

And so that night, he made the decision to give up.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Did anyone see the awful German crash in women's 2 person bobsled? The brakwoman was ejected at around 85mph. :eek:

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
It's pretty crazy, when you think that's all these guys do all year long : training in sliding down at crazy speed. You would not think one would choke when beeing at olympic level... I guess the track really scared him. Also, that crash he had in Vancouver while training made a strong impression on him, enough to not compete. Crazy.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Did anyone see the awful German crash in women's 2 person bobsled? The brakwoman was ejected at around 85mph. :eek:
I also THINK this is the same course they do luge on, where that racer died at the very start of the games.

One way or another, the consensus has been it's the most dangerous track almost everyone in the games has even seen, and people are crashing left and right. They may have pushed it a little TOO far...

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
It's pretty crazy, when you think that's all these guys do all year long : training in sliding down at crazy speed. You would not think one would choke when beeing at olympic level... I guess the track really scared him. Also, that crash he had in Vancouver while training made a strong impression on him, enough to not compete. Crazy.
it takes a lot to get going again, I do downhill skating and man if you take a bad crash it really kills you mentally

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
They had some clips on the TV down the pub the other day - Sunday I think. Bobsleds overturning, people being ejected...proper cringe-worthy shit. There was one I laughed at...when the brakeman slipped, fell and then continued running to catch up with the sled but missed it.

Saying that, I'm pretty sure the British team overturned - the guy took his top off as he was walking away from the track and his shoulder blades were just skinned to fuck :noway:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts