Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well you get my vote just because it's Opeth.
You get me sneaking back in for a second vote just because it's a song off my favorite album.

Nice job man, and it was a cool idea putting the song in this context- I think seeing it this way made me learn something about Mikael's songwriting a little.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you get my vote just because it's Opeth.
You get me sneaking back in for a second vote just because it's a song off my favorite album.

Nice job man, and it was a cool idea putting the song in this context- I think seeing it this way made me learn something about Mikael's songwriting a little.
Thanks!
Yeah, it's my favorite album as well.
Yesterday, I found a guy on YT named Sam Abbott doing piano covers of Opeth tunes. They were amazing & displayed just how intricate the arrangements are.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Nice job, Shannon. That's one of my favorite Opeth songs from my second favorite Opeth album (My Arms, Your Hearse would be my favorite Opeth album, closely followed by Still Life).

It's weird hearing a lot of parts of that song without both guitars. Opeth's first two albums had a lot of weird harmonized and interlocking rhythm guitar and leadish rhythm parts, but their third, fourth, and fifth albums had my favorite interplays between two different rhythm guitars or one rhythm and one lead or two vastly different arpeggios, etc. I definitely think you picked the predominant parts for each part of the song in your acoustic playthrough, but some of those parts just don't sound right unless you have two guitars playing to get that feeling from the two guitars together. Although, to be honest, a lot of the parts on that album only sound right with the melodies of both guitars and the vocals. It's a testament to the writing.

Anyway, sweet job. :yesway: I enjoyed watching it.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
nice, you translated it really well into an acoustic song

On a side note....you make weird motions with your mouth when you play :lol:, apparently I do it as well but I obviously cant see myself do it!

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job, Shannon. That's one of my favorite Opeth songs from my second favorite Opeth album (My Arms, Your Hearse would be my favorite Opeth album, closely followed by Still Life).

It's weird hearing a lot of parts of that song without both guitars. Opeth's first two albums had a lot of weird harmonized and interlocking rhythm guitar and leadish rhythm parts, but their third, fourth, and fifth albums had my favorite interplays between two different rhythm guitars or one rhythm and one lead or two vastly different arpeggios, etc. I definitely think you picked the predominant parts for each part of the song in your acoustic playthrough, but some of those parts just don't sound right unless you have two guitars playing to get that feeling from the two guitars together. Although, to be honest, a lot of the parts on that album only sound right with the melodies of both guitars and the vocals. It's a testament to the writing.

Anyway, sweet job. :yesway: I enjoyed watching it.
Thanks! Yeah, I know what you mean. I tried to get as many of the parts as I could, but it's nearly impossible to play (see intro riff with the lead over it top). Now, it might be possible with a looper. I mainly went with bass, rhythm & melody guitar passages. It was a challenge & yeah, they utilize the 2 guitars very well. Perfect songwriting.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice, you translated it really well into an acoustic song

On a side note....you make weird motions with your mouth when you play :lol:, apparently I do it as well but I obviously cant see myself do it!
Thanks & yep, I make all kinds of weird faces, especially on more difficult parts. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts