Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine called me up today, she was wanting to buy a guitar for really cheap. I check Craigslist and I find an old Ovation with a split in the top for $100. I figure worse case I can fill the crack and it'll be a good starter guitar, so we go and check it out. It's a Type 1132-1, deep style body (which I dig because it can actually rest on my leg), and it's one of the models with a metal(assuming it's steel or something similar) fretboard. I'd played one of these in the past, when I was a teenager, it was an "Applause" brand by Ovation, but this thing is a LOT nicer than that. Pics:

I leveled, crowned, and polished the frets, replaced the strings, and filled the crack with some superglue. The crack is directly over one of the top braces, and the top still feels absolutely solid, so I'm not going to go much further than the superglue TBH. This thing has such a cool tone, I'm a fan. Put some Elixir Nanoweb 11's on it. I think she'll be pretty happy with it.

edit: Looks like the serial means it's a 1976 model.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice score. Barely looks split in that pic at all.
It's just a crappy cell phone pic, the split is pretty obvious in person, but it doesn't even budge when pressed on, the top is very solid. I also checked the bracing when I had the strings off, as well as tap tested the whole top, not a single loose or broken brace in the thing.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been looking around, found some other examples for 100 bucks that are beat to shit compared to this. I think I did pretty well :yesway: I'm not even an Ovation fan, but I picked this thing up, strummed a few chords and played a few licks and within 30 seconds told her to buy it :rofl:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

7 Strings of Hate said:
i'm actually a big fan of the ovations. lov'em.
Me too, I've always quite liked Ovations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts