Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An amp which is pretty much a 'bucket list' amp for me has come up on the used market and I'm considering grabbing it.

I've been considering getting an amp again lately as I want to get away from sitting in front of the computer screen (axe fx) whilst playing guitar. 100 watts is a lot for a bedroom setting but I'm wondering if anyone uses a head with this sort of power with a 1x12? My only experience using my previous heads was through a 4x12.

Noise isnt an issue for me as I have a lot of separation between my house and my neighbours but I do find it a bit hard on the ears after a while.

Just wondering if using a 1x12 or 2x12 with a head of this power tames the perceived volume any, I have heard some people say it does and some say it doesnt.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah I know but i can sort out speakers matching etc myself. Im really just looking for an idea on perceived volume for home use.

For reference its a VHT Pitbull 100/CL cabs I'm seeing for decent prices used tend to be Orange closed back 1x12 and 2x12 so generally V30s in them.

Sound wise i have read that the vht/fryette cabs are best but they are few and far between over here and the only one I can find the guy wont sell on its own, only with a head that I dont want.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I don't see that the Pitbull has an attenuator on it, so 100W is what you got. If the cab isn't able to take that, you're going to just have to watch the output, correct?

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
^Yeah, ideal case is you get a 112 with an at least 100W speaker to be on the safe side. But usually you won't get - in a play-at-home/home-rec. setting - anywhere even near close to reach the limits of a V30 (for example) with a 100W head.

And yes, a 212 or 112 will be more quit than a 412. The difference will be much more than for example the common "pull 2 tubes" method (which does nothing in terms of volume imho). I can't say if ti's worth it as compared to jsut turning down the volume with the 412 though, my feeling says yes, but my feeling always says "buy new gear", soooo....

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
100 watts through a 4x12 will be a lot louder than through a 1x12, and I mean A LOT. But lots of 1x12s can handle 100 watts, just think of all the old combos out there. I've got an '80 Acoustic 100 watt combo that is all tube with an EVM and while loud its not as loud as with a 4x12 cab attached.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol: I think this is being overthought a bit (other than Peter) I am aware of the fact I must mach cab and amp impedence etc.

My question is:

Are any of you using heads of this power rating or higher, through a 1x12 or 2x12 in an environment like a bedroom and if you are, how does the perceived volume of the 1x12 or 2x12 compare to that of a 4x12 in the same environment?

I can buy an attenuator or something more fancy like a two notes in the future but I really just want to get opinion on whether I will actually enjoy playing it in the mean time without having it at face melting volume.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Now that I've mentioned it, what about an attenuator and a 2x12 cab?

I can tell you that I've run both, a 50W head through a 1x12 at office volume, and a 60W head through a 4x12. The 4x12 creates a lot more perceived volume and pushes a lot more air. Thankfully, the Laney has the attenuator, so I can do what I want even with a 4x12. But the 50W head through a 1x12 was okay, I could just never push it.

I think my favorite situation was the 2x12 Mesa Recifier cab with a 100w 5150 head. It worked pretty damned well. I wish I had a 2x12 Mesa cab right now, in fact. I'd probably trade someone my 4x12 Mesa cab.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I used my 180w Herbert through a Zilla 2x12 at home. You could get it house-friendly (ish), but no tube amp will ever sound good unless it's loud. However, doubling the number of speakers increases the perceived volume by 3dB, so in theory for the same signal a 4x12 is 6dB louder then a 1x12 and 3dB louder than a 2x12.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If you're just playing at home and not gigging, maybe a GP/DI (if they become available at retail)? That's a great home use/recording device, and has a lot of the Pittbull flavor at reasonable volumes.

That said, I've used 300w tube amps at home. Just have to be very careful with the master volume!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wattage is logarithmic. A 10w amp will be half as loud as a 100w amp.

Typically, the number of speakers is more linear. 1 speaker will be half as loud as 2, and 2 is half as loud as 4, imo.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Attenuators are more than good enough these days to get a good bedroom level sound. I'd go for that and a 2x12. In fact, I've never used a 100w with a 4x12 at home; it was always a 2x12.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
When I used my old Carvin X-100b 100w with a 4x12 at home the master volume was usually set on 0.5. Once I got it up to 2 but the wife and kids were in Ireland. The dog was not pleased lol

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
cheers guys thats enough to go on. I really have no use for this other than just the pure joy of it as, like I say, its one of those 'always wanted one of those' bits of gear for me. I have the axe FX for recording but would like an amp for just not being tied to the computer all the time and also learning more about mic'ing a cab etc when recording.

I now need to stop procrastinating and either buy it or forget about it!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I used to run my roadster into a mesa 112 for jams in a shed with a micro cube haha. The cab held up fine and we were both audible. It is definitely quieter than a 412.

Buy the amp.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have a 2x12 and my heads range from 50W (5153) to 100W (Roadster/Stilletto/Modded JTM45). I can play in my basement without hurting my ears but I keep the master volume very low.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
HE SAID THAT'S ENOUGH

cheers guys thats enough
No but seriously, there are so many factor to consider, everyone gave you pretty insightful info so far.

What I would also look into concerning the cab, is for a speaker that can handle a lot and that is transparent as well. If we put aside "perceived volume" or loudness: no matter the tone of the amp, if you use a speaker that "likes" to break up and put it in a small enclosure(cabinet), it won't sound the same as putting a transparent speaker like an EVM12L or a Eminence Delta Pro in an oversized enclosure, not because of the wattage but the magnet size/weight, type of cone, basket, dust cap, etc.

I mean I'm sure you know most of that to an extent but I feel like a mistake would be to put a High-Wattage speaker that is known to sound better when pushed, into an oversized enclosure, per example, might not be the ideal set-up.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
just get one of those 25 watt heads and go nuts on that, there's a ton of them on the market now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts