Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a few cool ones in here, and a few that are just terrible (Leo playing some garbage 8-string chug nonsense is the worst, which is a shame because it would be cool to hear a modern ERG in that setup in actually capable hands). A lot of them default to EVH, ACDC or Hendrix style stuff, but there's a few in there that show off how versatile it can really be. The Ibanez that Martin Miller guy is playing around 10:45 or whatever is pretty cool. I think it's a prototype like the one they gave one of the guys in Chon (watched their Rig Rundown, it was painful, and did not make me like that band anymore than I already didn't :lol: ).

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Seriously, if you've never seen Phil X youtube videos do yourself a favor.

He sounds super high all the time, but apparently he's not not.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm surprised at how shitty that sounded.
I thought it sounded great for them not doing much with it. You could easily tweak that slightly (different mic, position, cab, EQ settings, etc) and it would be amazing.

No Sabbath or Maiden riffs, they all fail.
I'll agree with that.

No one hates Phil X, Phil X rules.

Phil X is like, the only guy who is fun to watch demoing gear on youtube.
Totally :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I thought it sounded great for them not doing much with it. You could easily tweak that slightly (different mic, position, cab, EQ settings, etc) and it would be amazing.
Single note rhythms were usable, leads were great, but anything with two or more notes at a time sounded like mush.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
That pedal show guy on that strat sounded fucking awesome! That is the Plexi STRAT tone right there in full force.:yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Seriously, if you've never seen Phil X youtube videos do yourself a favor.

He sounds super high all the time, but apparently he's not not.

Phil X makes me want to take up doing blow. He's always so fuckin' happy, and he can play his ass off. I love his videos. :yesway:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I'm surprised at how shitty that sounded.
Yeah I'm not surprised at all actually. Turning Marshalls up to 11 has been overrated for ever. That amp would have sounded fuller and much better if turn about halfway or three quarters of the way up. I have played around with it in the past and tube amps almost never sound good all the way up IMHO. I realize you won't squeeze every ounce of gain out of Plexi unless turned all the way up, but it just won't sound great to my ears....almost starts sounding like a guitar turned up through a stereo.

Funny enough if you roll the volume back on the guitar on a tube amp that is all the way up you can make it sound better also, But both on full blast I don't like it. Starts getting screechy and thin with a bunch of weird, not so cool, artifacts.:shrug:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I caught this earlier. That must have been a blast to do. IIRC, everything was on 10, it would have been cool to get everyone to spend a minute dialing in a sound for their guitars but that wasn't really the intent of the vid.

Pete's been posting some really great content lately. The video with Tim Pierce and Michael Thompson was awesome, those guys geeking out over gear and hearing the stories of their origins. So many great guitar sounds in that vid.

And this one with Phil X is equally great.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
That was awesome. I mean, the talentless shadow of a human being with the 8 string should have been dragged out into the car park and put down like a fallen fucking horse, but the rest of it was awesome. And, honestly, I was listening to it on my studio set up, the tone was fine :shrug: I mean, for a cranked valve amp, it's exactly what I expected. Super brown sound, at the cusp of absolutely shitting the bed with the low end all over the place. Perfect.

If this was meant as a proof for "tone is in the hands"...
It quite obviously wasn't.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts