Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy shit.

1987 ESP MIRAGE CUSTOM NECK THRU=NOS!!!=NAMM SHOW!! - eBay (item 260687149538 end time Nov-14-10 18:00:12 PST)

1987 ESP BLACK Non Graphic MIRAGE CUSTOM NECK THRU=NAMM SHOW!

This ESP MIRAGE CUSTOM is Brand New and has never been sold, played out and has spent it's whole life in it's MINT ESP case in storage!
It does not have one scratch, nick, or blemish and is actually new. Nuff Said!

Neck is fast, comfortable, and satin smooth with a very dark BLACK EBONY fingerboard and frets are actually new.

It is 23 years old and was THE MIRAGE CUSTOM made for the 1987 NAMM show, it was almost $2K then.

I believe even the strings are the ones that were on it when delivered!!

So a new set of strings and you're got a brand new 23 year old Killer EARLY ESP MADE IN JAPAN CUSTOM SHOP MINT MIRAGE CUSTOM!!

IT IS ALL ORIGINAL AND VIRTUALLY UNTOUCHED!! It's a time capsule!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.

Either it isn't new, or it's fucking filthy. It's actually filthy either way, but that looks like play-dirt.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yeah, it does look kind of played. Still in better condition than you'll find any other guitar from that year though :lol:, but I doubt there are any true "NOS" from that long ago.

I like how he calls it a "rare jet back darth vader finish", I also though "very dark" was a little generous for that fretboard :lol:

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
I also though "very dark" was a little generous for that fretboard :lol:
Looks like it could use a little oiling, though.

The guitar looks good. I've had ESP GAS for a while now, and I definitely like the Mirage. By the time my playing is good enough to justify buying another guitar, I'll probably be able to afford a time machine to go back and get one of these fresh off the production line...

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
A little TLC will turn that guitar into an absolute beast. The only problem is that the ebony board needs just a little bit of love. I don't know about the trem, but it looks like it could be okay.

I am definitely not surprised it's going for that price. That's a guitar.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little TLC will turn that guitar into an absolute beast. The only problem is that the ebony board needs just a little bit of love. I don't know about the trem, but it looks like it could be okay.

I am definitely not surprised it's going for that price. That's a guitar.
Ebony is pretty crack prone when it's dry, isn't it? I remember Zimbloth having issues with his new BRJ having hairlines all over it.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Ebony is pretty crack prone when it's dry, isn't it? I remember Zimbloth having issues with his new BRJ having hairlines all over it.
I've heard a lot of things about ebony drying out, but of all of the guitars I've had with ebony fingerboards, I've never had a problem, whether they were case queens or players.

But I also subscribe to the fact that you should maintain a guitar, so I am always trying to keep up with what I've got going on.

I've had my ESP M-II UC for about 7 or 8 years now and I've never had to oil the board or do anything else with it, and it is pretty much in mint condition. It literally still looks like glass. It is one of the only guitars that I play that I can see the amp lights reflecting off of the fingerboard.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is literally the best playing guitar I've ever touched, hands down.
That's not helping.

$1399 new just seems like a lot for an alder guitar with an OFR and a JB/59. I want the hell out of one, though.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
You bought the swirlyverse dude. That's one awesome, awesome guitar, but it put you right at the bottom of the list in terms of fiscally responsible purchases. :lol:
Don't get me wrong, the swirlyverse is the bomb in it's own right. It's beautiful, and plays like an absolute dream.

So does this bad boy.

If you only knew how much I paid in bills a month, my fiscal irresponsibility would astound you.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

My Mirage Custom is exactly like that, except modded with an OFR and a different bridge pickup. Since mine's a beater, needless to say I didn't pay nearly so much.

This seller is unlikely to get that much for it. Nice one, though.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

My Mirage Custom is exactly like that, except modded with an OFR and a different bridge pickup. Since mine's a beater, needless to say I didn't pay nearly so much.

This seller is unlikely to get that much for it. Nice one, though.
I hope he doesn't, because if it comes down enough I'm going to jump on it. :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
None of my boards have any cracking issues, and I'm pretty lazy maintaining them :rofl: but Texas' climate is basically perfect for owning guitars, just the right humidity.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.