Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TIE Fighter: A Post 9/11 Parable < Columns | PopMatters

I thought this was an interesting read. This was one of my all-time favorite games as a child, and I recently found it again and have been slowly playing my way through the campaign again, which holds up remarkably well story-wise and even graphics-wise, for a nearly 15 year old game!

There is definitely an interesting undercurrent about many of the things you are assigned to do in this game, in light of many of the events we have experienced in the last decade.

-Jumping into a civil war without knowing the particulars? Check.
-Attacking one side, then realizing they were rightfully stopping illicit dealings? Check.
-Attacking the other side so as to show impartiality? Check.
-Forcing both sides to bow down to an Imperial-negotiated peace treaty without bothering to learn the root cause of the civil war or it's propagators? Check.
-Assisting in the inspection and capture of "terrorists" and "enemies of freedom" for 'interrogation?' Check.
-Spying on your own forces? Check.

It's quite eerie. Any other TIE Fighter guys out there? Definitely worth another play-through to see this stuff, and the article is a great read!

Reactions: JBroll and Tom

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously, it's very easy to get the 1998 Windows-compatible versions. All you need is a decent flightstick ($30-50), set the game to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode, and you have a good 30-40 hours of entertainment.

Oh, one mission will crash on XP... but there's a patched version out there for download. Battle 6 Mission III I think.

Still, best gaming I've had in years!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude, that's awesome! I have never read that.

<total fucking nerd alert>

It is made even funnier by the fact that I am running a pen-and-paper Star Wars roleplaying game in which the players are actually (unwittingly) working alongside the Empire to clean out organized crime rings...

Anyways, now that I've lost all your respect, carry on :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
No worries, it is one of the coolest things I've ever read about Star Wars. A completely different perspective.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I used to play a lot of the old PC Star Wars games. TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Rebel Assault, Rebel Assault 2, Jedi Knight, Shadows of the Empire (I bought the PC version after playing the N64 version at my friend's house, even though I owned an N64), and a bunch of other ones too.

:lol: That was awesome.

Back in high school, I always used to play Devil's Advocate, generally for things I didn't believe in, but one thing I realized is that you can find logic on both sides of the coin for a lot of matters.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Interesting read. To be fair, though, it's worth noting that almost the sameargument could be made about Britian during America's revolutionary war, or the Nazis replacing the Weimar republic in post WWI Germany. Just because the Empire has demonstrated it's better capable of governing doesn't mean it should do so.

That said, I think the movie would have been better for it if Lucas had introduced some moral ambiguity along these lines, and tried to paint the Empire as not unconditionally evil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts