Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A little progress today. Realised I must have used some of the resistors for other things (and also put a 1/2w resistor where a 3w one should be ill have to remove that)

DSC_0100_1611519132186.jpg

And also it seems the transformer that I wanted to use has been updated and is now too tall to fit in a 1u box so I'll have to find something else

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
A little progress today. Realised I must have used some of the resistors for other things (and also put a 1/2w resistor where a 3w one should be ill have to remove that)

View attachment 28420

And also it seems the transformer that I wanted to use has been updated and is now too tall to fit in a 1u box so I'll have to find something else
I've been toying with building a 1u preamp, found these toroidal transformers: https://www.antekinc.com/as-05t280-50va-280v-transformer/

Says it's 1.6" tall.. might be a tight squeeze by the time you add the mounting stuff.

As far as reverb, I probably wouldn't bother, I imagine anyone buying this probably has all the effects they could ever want/need :lol:

Do you have an approximate cost? This has me intrigued.

·
Premium Member
23,422 Posts
As far as reverb, I probably wouldn't bother, I imagine anyone buying this probably has all the effects they could ever want/need :lol:
This, kinda :lol:

I've got 4 reverb pedals, and a TC E G-Sharp, that I'd likely run with it.

I think the only "effect" that you may add that everyone would utilize would be a gate, something like the 1 knob Deci-Mate from ISP, which I have sitting on my desk, so far un-played, but having run the Decimator in the past, it's a solid 1 knob gate!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

View attachment 28420

I've been toying with building a 1u preamp, found these toroidal transformers: https://www.antekinc.com/as-05t280-50va-280v-transformer/

Says it's 1.6" tall.. might be a tight squeeze by the time you add the mounting stuff.

As far as reverb, I probably wouldn't bother, I imagine anyone buying this probably has all the effects they could ever want/need

Do you have an approximate cost? This has me intrigued.
I looked at those and they're all either too low or too high voltage wise. Too high I can work with somewhat but the ones that are too low are way too low. Only problem is the ridiculous shipping prices to the UK 3x the transformer cost.

I'm aiming for a ballpark of spending about £200 max on parts at the high end. So far the enclosure will be the most expensive part depending how the transformer quotes come back.

As far as reverb, I probably wouldn't bother, I imagine anyone buying this probably has all the effects they could ever want/need
This, kinda

I've got 4 reverb pedals, and a TC E G-Sharp, that I'd likely run with it.

I think the only "effect" that you may add that everyone would utilize would be a gate, something like the 1 knob Deci-Mate from ISP, which I have sitting on my desk, so far un-played, but having run the Decimator in the past, it's a solid 1 knob gate!
I've been thinking this too after chatting with a few people they all have things they would rather use themselves than having it built in and adding to the price.

So I might keep it simple and just have a buffered DI pass through.

Gate is an option I still need to price up

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I was originally aiming for around £250 max (rack enclosure is the most expensive part when it comes to preamps at about 1/5 of the final sale price depending.
That sounds appallingly reasonable. Damn you.
I have a really bad habit of building things for free essentially or at a loss.

Is why I stopped building amps beyond having a child I'm terrible at pricing things that I enjoyed making.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Minor build updates. Not much has happened just did a bit more of the board while my son had his remote drama class.

You can tell I'm using random bits I have! Mix of wima, Mallory and orange drops with Vishay ceramics.

DSC_0104_1612047086302.jpg DSC_0103_1612047102377.jpg

Transformer situation isn't looking great so far. Sent out for about 8 quotes and nothing back yet behind a guy who said he could do what I need then no response since I asked for an invoice...

Might just go for a project box at this point and use a hammond plate transformer I have that's too big for a 1u rack.

After asking a few people regarding boost & geq I'm getting mixed messages. Some want them done would rather have insert loops.

Power wise for those two I was thinking a dc in jack then some regulation and filtering with a few outputs too for external stuff people may want to use.

·
Premium Member
23,422 Posts
I suppose if there's room in the case those of us who want extra stuff can just learn how to add them in and do it ourselves :)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I suppose if there's room in the case those of us who want extra stuff can just learn how to add them in and do it ourselves
with this is literally adding things where you want them.

Boost eg straight from the input jack before the preamp. Geq been the output and output jack.

I think I'll end up doing these individually to the buyers needs.

I think the people wanting insert loops just don't want things deciding for them

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I suppose if there's room in the case those of us who want extra stuff can just learn how to add them in and do it ourselves
with this is literally adding things where you want them.

Boost eg straight from the input jack before the preamp. Geq been the output and output jack.

I think I'll end up doing these individually to the buyers needs.

I think the people wanting insert loops just don't want things deciding for them
I'm thinking if I can get this first one done at a reasonable price and there's enough interest I might put together kits with instructions byoc style with how to add on circuits etc that way people diy inclined can have exactly what they want and have a nice corona project

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
I'd love a kit like this. I did spend the first half of lockdown last year trying to find some sort of slo/5150 1u preamp I could make for my rack. I couldn't find anything, so u ended up building a guitar instead. But that's pretty much finished finally and I think I may need a new project to keep my going.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'd love a kit like this. I did spend the first half of lockdown last year trying to find some sort of slo/5150 1u preamp I could make for my rack. I couldn't find anything, so u ended up building a guitar instead. But that's pretty much finished finally and I think I may need a new project to keep my going.
If you want a cool full slo preamp check out the Andy zeugs high gain preamp. Has full midi too

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
I'm thinking if I can get this first one done at a reasonable price and there's enough interest I might put together kits with instructions byoc style with how to add on circuits etc that way people diy inclined can have exactly what they want and have a nice corona project
Perfect!

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
That's fantastic!

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
If you want a cool full slo preamp check out the Andy zeugs high gain preamp. Has full midi too
I actually just ordered the Anvil this morning.

For anyone who's looking at it in NA, I ordered it without their transformer for like 30 Euros less since it's not compatible with 110V. I bought the Antek transformer I linked above, you'll need to wire the 2 6.3V heater windings in series.

If I can actually get it working, I think the price for those kits is a fucking steal. Worked out to $400 Canadian ruples shipped. The transformer is $30 US, had to pay $50 shipping though... I bought 2 in case I fuck something up and burn one, or see if I can cram it in a 1u enclosure and try to build something of my own.

·
Premium Member
23,422 Posts
I was just on that Zeugs page, and couldn't find any English :lol:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts