Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question 1

I have a delta lab digital delay running through my effects loop. . when I click my delay pedal on, it destroys my high frequencies. its nice that its warm, but when I do my double riffs it seems to knock my volume down a notch.

I don't need a boost, but I would at least like it to stay the same volume.
is it the specific delay pedal or does that happen with all effects loops?

Question 2

I was the guy getting the loud humming from my amp. I got a new head and it still hums like a bitch! only when I'm at practice.
I just recently learned that my drummer has a dimmer switch near by. will the furman get rid of the hum?:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
1. Do you get the same effect when the pedal is out front?

2. It could be the power in the jam-space. Does it hum everywhere? Have you tried other guitars? Get (and carry around with you) a circuit tester. You can get one at Lowes for like $5.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Don't know anything about that unit, but is it supposed to emulate vintage delay technology, etc? I assume this is normal operation. If you don't like it, I'd try a Boss digital delay, they're very functional and full-frequency. Very little or no high-freq filtering.

Also, dimming a drummer is not advised. But the switch, I don't think, can add 60Hz hum if it's fully off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drummers that hum are a fucking nuisance.
I promise I won't dimm the drummer:D.

I mentioned before that I have active emg's, someone told me that wouldn't be the problem. they said emg's are pretty quite pickups. I just want to get rid of that hum. its making practice unbearable.

I didnt try the delay in front yet. I figured since I use amp distortion it would be more logical to run it in the loop. thanx.

·
18,790 Posts
The delay will sound better in the loop, but testing it in front of the amp will tell you if the delay is the problem, or the effects loop. I'm guessing it's the delay pedal, though. Try a different delay pedal, maybe. :shrug:

As for the hum, it's most likely dirty power caused by the dimmer switch. A Furman or similar power conditioner might help, but you might just be screwed. I remember seeing the video of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani jamming in Steve's studio and Steve pointing out that whoever did the wiring put in dimmer switches and that it was causing the hum through their amps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I returned the delta lab and got the boss dd3. when I engage the boss pedal it doesnt change my tone at all :). maybe I am just not into the vintage thing.

they tried to talk me into getting the carbon copy, but it still has that warm vintage sound. the boss was more for me. thanks for the help guys. :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Awesome dude. :) Yeah the Carbon Copy is supposed to be a vintage sound. It has two levels of sponginess or what-have-you, but you made the right choice for the Boss if that's the tone you're after. :yesway:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.