Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

Living a half-hour from both the Adirondacks and the Catskills, I decided to take advantage of all the fantastic trails available around me. I did a wee-wee bit of riding as a kid, but haven't revisited this in adult hood. I do a fair share of hiking, kayaking, etc. and this seemed to be a good fit.

I decided to check out my local bike rescue (Electric City Bike Rescue) to see what they had to offer. I had a lot of luck getting a road bike there at the beginning of the summer (early 70's Gitane Super Sport) that was a lot of fun to restore, so I was hoping for a repeat. The main thing I was hoping for was an older rigid frame 'bike shop' brand bike that was complete, but needed some love. There she was.

It's a 1994 Mongoose Rockadile SX. Exactly what I was looking for, look and build-wise. Simple and light. So yeah, $20 to the rescue and home she went with me.

I did a pretty thorough spitshine (not pictures), oiled and adjusted everything, and re-crudded the handlebars:

Everything seemed to be in fairly usable shape. The tires held air enough that I was able to take it out for a test run, and it was great (~10 miles on an off-season snow mobile trail)

As far as upgrades, this is obviously a budget bike but I've got a couple basic things on the list:

• Seat
  • Tubes
  • Reflectors/Lights
  • Tires?
  • Pedals?

Being that it's getting cold out, I'm hoping to get in a solid month+, so these would mostly be "need" purchases and anything else would be next spring.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:lol: Awesome!

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Nice man. Any bike that gets you out there is cool.
Anti quigs would be the bike that sits on the wall as decoration I think

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice man. Any bike that gets you out there is cool.
Anti quigs would be the bike that sits on the wall as decoration I think
That's a good point. I've got a lotta catching up to do.

I know the guys use Strava for road biking... was curious if theres anything anybody's used for mountain biking. So far (at least out my way), for every trail you find online or on a map, on the drive up there you find about a dozen more. Would be nice if there were something more comprehensive.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
That's a good point. I've got a lotta catching up to do.

I know the guys use Strava for road biking... was curious if theres anything anybody's used for mountain biking. So far (at least out my way), for every trail you find online or on a map, on the drive up there you find about a dozen more. Would be nice if there were something more comprehensive.
chris linked one for me in a thread, which he said was free, but it appears not to be free. not sure if it was free at one time -/

we all use strava to record any and all rides. roads or woods. its more just for recording our trips, getting kudos, seeing what each other is doing, motivation... and its useful for planning road rides and such. actually theres quite a few useful features now that i think about it.
not sure about the trail maps, as they are kinda tough to come by without the purchase of a good garmin. I'm sure there are apps, but i tried one, which fucked with my phone, and like i said, the other one i haven't tried because it was like 10 bucks. i just try my best not to get lost haha

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
No shame in the anti-corksniffer bike.

I'm still riding the 1st MTB I bought back in the early '90s. It's on it's 3rd paint job, and I've replaced: fork, headset, handlebar, grips, cables, bottom bracket, chain rings, cassette, derailleur sprockets, chain, skewers, saddles, tires, brakes, cyclometers & sensors and even the spring in the rear derailleur. I think the shifters might finally need to go because I can't get the SIS to stay "in gear" and not "between gears" and the friction part of the friction shifters when the SIS is off does't hold well.

I will suggest getting clipless pedals, but others here will disagree. I was anti-clipless until the first time I ate-it because I couldn't get out of the toe-clips fast enough.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
For just cruising around on the wider trails through the woods, I absolutely go clipless. For more technical stuff, though, I use a set of wife flats with screw in studs. Using tow clips is fucking suicide. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I give it a month before you go full suspension.
I'm going the other direction, dude.

No shame in the anti-corksniffer bike.

I'm still riding the 1st MTB I bought back in the early '90s. It's on it's 3rd paint job, and I've replaced: fork, headset, handlebar, grips, cables, bottom bracket, chain rings, cassette, derailleur sprockets, chain, skewers, saddles, tires, brakes, cyclometers & sensors and even the spring in the rear derailleur. I think the shifters might finally need to go because I can't get the SIS to stay "in gear" and not "between gears" and the friction part of the friction shifters when the SIS is off does't hold well.
That's cool. Fits very much into my mantra: build to need, fix what needs to be fixed and run it. I've only been out on it twice (as far as significant rides go), but most of the stock items seem to be holding up well. At this point, I'm expecting MOST parts swaps will be based on what breaks from being 20 years old, until something else presents itself. So far, I'm most impressed with how well calibrated the shifter seemed to be despite the bike being abused and neglected for a period of time.

For just cruising around on the wider trails through the woods, I absolutely go clipless. For more technical stuff, though, I use a set of wife flats with screw in studs. Using tow clips is fucking suicide. :lol:
Yeah, fuck tow clips :lol:

Those came with it... I tried them, gave up on them halfway through my first ride and hacked them off on the side of the trail. I'm thinking of going he same way as you, studs is the most I'll need.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Cool! If it gets you out and back, and you have fun, it's all good.

I used toe clips for quite a while, and yeah, they suck, but, they also made you try harder to keep from falling. :)

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of the trail out this way have very limited maintenance on them, so carrying your bike over downed tree limbs, etc. is something you expect to be doing a LOT of. That said, yeah, clips would be nice on more purpose built and better groomed trails, but out here, getting off and lugging it at least every half-mile is a necessary evil.

Worth noting, my road bike DOES have toe-clips, and they work fantastic.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Carrying your bike over tree limbs? Just ride over them. :yesway:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts