Metal Guitarist Forums banner

901 - 920 of 1099 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
He's gonna cost $110m over the next 4-years, very few teams that can shoulder that.

Not sure a traditional 'trade' is how this is gonna work out tbh. Everyone saying Texans are gonna want 3 firsts + later rounds, a high end player or 4 firsts because they've got leverage. If it's anything like Bell, Jamal Adams or Fournette, he'll be a miserable malcontent or have to pay him to sit at home on the couch or give him away. My expectation is the "trade" part of this deal will actually be pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
He's gonna cost $110m over the next 4-years, very few teams that can shoulder that.

Not sure a traditional 'trade' is how this is gonna work out tbh. Everyone saying Texans are gonna want 3 firsts + later rounds, a high end player or 4 firsts because they've got leverage. If it's anything like Bell, Jamal Adams or Fournette, he'll be a miserable malcontent or have to pay him to sit at home on the couch or give him away. My expectation is the "trade" part of this deal will actually be pretty cheap.
Houston *could* make a killing. They have a ton of holes to fill and no draft picks to do it with, so they're not going to be ready to compete during the window of Watson's contract. His cap number isn't brutal, and he's not a reclamation project a la Wentz - he's actually WORTH that much.

He's also got a no-trade clause he'd have to waive, so he has control at the end of the day. Denver might actually be an ideal fit (the Colts definitely are, but there's no way they trade him in the division). I just can't see him being handled like the three you mention, because he's not a RB or really good safety, he's a Franchise QB who's advanced stats are on par with Mahomes and Allen, and he's, what, 28? You'd waste two 1st round picks trying to find that guy.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Houston *could* make a killing. They have a ton of holes to fill and no draft picks to do it with, so they're not going to be ready to compete during the window of Watson's contract. His cap number isn't brutal, and he's not a reclamation project a la Wentz - he's actually WORTH that much.

He's also got a no-trade clause he'd have to waive, so he has control at the end of the day. Denver might actually be an ideal fit (the Colts definitely are, but there's no way they trade him in the division). I just can't see him being handled like the three you mention, because he's not a RB or really good safety, he's a Franchise QB who's advanced stats are on par with Mahomes and Allen, and he's, what, 28? You'd waste two 1st round picks trying to find that guy.
Agreed, I just meant that right now making Watson happy is more useful to Houston than the haul. If they don't pick a trade partner he likes or if they try to keep him there because they don't like any of their offers, he can just eat their cap and sit out 2021. He's got all the leverage right now.

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
Agreed, I just meant that right now making Watson happy is more useful to Houston than the haul.
I see no indication they're going to do that, and I think you can make an argument that they won't be competitive until year 4 of his extension with their lack of draft capital, cap situation and the age of their talent. Trading him actually makes sense, because there's no way he re-signs.

If they don't pick a trade partner he likes or if they try to keep him there because they don't like any of their offers, he can just eat their cap and sit out 2021. He's got all the leverage right now.
His cap hit is brutal in 2022, too - 40 million dollars. Really, 2020 and 2021 are their "win years", with his cap hits reasonable. They just let BO'B destroy the team.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I just woke from my coma.

Lest's go Buffalo!:yesway:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Josh Allen with statistically the best 3rd year bounce in NFL history.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #912
Everyone's still gunshy from Flacco Arm Syndrome. Just because a QB can arm punt the ball to the moon doesn't mean they're a good QB.

(Though to be fair, Flacco won a super bowl by just throwing it up 9 zillion yards and going for the DPI so it does work..)

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Josh is the extreme outlier. All of the major college programs passed on this:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4291509/Josh-Allen

If you watch that, there's no way you pass on that arm talent. I don't get what people were not seeing. :scratch:
Small school and a first read system. The thought was that he'd be a big bodied RPO guy (think Newton coming out of college but faster paced offense), but he could hold the ball to long or throw into risky windows. Darnold and Rosen were both supposed to be more pro-ready because they were a two or three read offense, made a lot adjustments at the line and in the huddle etc.

In fairness, Allen looked kinda like exactly what everyone was worried he'd look like in year 1 but he put in the time and Buffalo invested in the right kinda talent to help him succeed. It's funny he and Darnold live near eachother and both attend Jordan Palmer's camp during the summer, I'm assuming Sam spent the time frolicking on the beach or playing hackey sack or something :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Dan Campbell apparently planning on biting people's kneecaps off. Glad we didn't inherit the crazy this time around.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Everyone's still gunshy from Flacco Arm Syndrome. Just because a QB can arm punt the ball to the moon doesn't mean they're a good QB.

(Though to be fair, Flacco won a super bowl by just throwing it up 9 zillion yards and going for the DPI so it does work..)
Jeff George did this waaaay before Flacco.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
Yeah but he did it with the combined power of his mullet and that badass 'stache.

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
In fairness, Allen looked kinda like exactly what everyone was worried he'd look like in year 1 but he put in the time and Buffalo invested in the right kinda talent to help him succeed. It's funny he and Darnold live near eachother and both attend Jordan Palmer's camp during the summer, I'm assuming Sam spent the time frolicking on the beach or playing hackey sack or something :lol:
He bailed the coaching staff out of a major mistake (Nathan Peterman) in season 1, when he wasn't supposed to be playing at all. I'll admit that I wasn't thrilled by the pick initially, but after I saw him in season one, I saw what the coaches saw in him - he has the talent level to take over a game, but clearly hadn't been coached at the level of someone that came from a big program. I still wasn't sure that he would be *the guy* last year, but figured he could make the jump to "good", and then get better.

Darnold had less room to grow, honestly, and has fewer physical tools. When I saw him in year one he didn't wow me, and that hasn't changed. That said, I think he's got the skills to be a reasonable NFL starter with talent around him.

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
:lol:

I can't help it. It's fun to watch the kid play. Like a level of fun we haven't in Buffalo since the early '90s. I saw him live in the horrible, horrible season opener against Baltimore, but this was the first game I saw on TV:

How do you not enjoy that? He's got his issues, sure, but the leap of Barr? C'mon.

901 - 920 of 1099 Posts