Metalguitarist.org banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Well I knocked my goals for the year (pretty easy ones tbh) except doing the races but that's mostly on the account of covid. The past couple years I've been bad about dropping off hard in winter so my last goal for 2020 is to get down to 170. If I don't miss too many days and relax on drinking till after holidays I should be able to lose all of or close to the last 8 lbs. I peaked at 205 during the initial quarantine. Really my goal is to head into the worst weather months in Jan/feb motivated and a weight goal is extremely measurable. If I can go into April weighing 30 lbs less that's only going to make spring riding that much better.
Good job. :yesway:

I basically didn't reach any of my goals. Actually I reached one: I participated in a tennis tournament (or racketlon actually), which then ended with an achilles rupture in the first match.

So from August onward my goals have been:

1. Be able to walk normally - check (pretty much). Got rid of the sci-fi boot in mid October, and have been doing some strength building exercises for my calf
2. Be able to cycle to work - happening soon
3. Be able to jog before the end of the year

I bought some dumbbells right after the injury so that I could at least do some exercise, and have been able to build some upper body strength - I'll probably look like I skipped leg day soon :lol: . I've also been swimming and doing some aquajogging (the latter is really the most boring training I've ever done). Now that I've had to work on my swimming, perhaps I should participate in a triathlon next year! :D

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
Good job. :yesway:

I basically didn't reach any of my goals. Actually I reached one: I participated in a tennis tournament (or racketlon actually), which then ended with an achilles rupture in the first match.

So from August onward my goals have been:

1. Be able to walk normally - check (pretty much). Got rid of the sci-fi boot in mid October, and have been doing some strength building exercises for my calf
2. Be able to cycle to work - happening soon
3. Be able to jog before the end of the year

I bought some dumbbells right after the injury so that I could at least do some exercise, and have been able to build some upper body strength - I'll probably look like I skipped leg day soon :lol: . I've also been swimming and doing some aquajogging (the latter is really the most boring training I've ever done). Now that I've had to work on my swimming, perhaps I should participate in a triathlon next year! :D
Glad to hear you're recovering! \m/

·
I am Groot
32,447 Posts
Many of us have been there; I know Drew and I both have. Recovery seasons suck, but way to keep gutting it out!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks guys. There's been some tough moments, but progress has been steady without setbacks, so I've mostly been able to keep a positive attitude.

My other hobbies (guitar, gaming, cooking and so on) have definitely been lifesavers. I'd have gone crazy in the first few weeks if I didn't have something to keep me active.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
So, year end review time.

I guess I can put some goals together for this season.

*Break 52 minutes on the North Adams side of Greylock
*Break 52 minutes on the Lanesboro side of Greylock
*Either half-Everest, or break 15,000 feet in a single ride
*Take the remaining three KOMs I targeted in my neighborhood from last season, while holding on to the two I have
*Break 4.0w/kg
*do a 200-mile one day ride
1) and 2) - the two Greylock goals. I hit the Lanesboro side, 51:39, and cracked pretty epicly towards the top after not eating for several hours before I rode (it's a long drive), so I could probably knock another minute or two off that one. North Adams, I missed, though not by a ton - 52:47. I was having some shifting trouble and couldn't get into my big ring which probably cost me at least a few seconds, but making up 47 seconds is more than just shifting trouble, IMO. My average wattage for the climb was 309w, which implies I could have paced it a little better, maybe - either way, I should break this next season.
3) Half-everest or break 15,000 feet - nope. I'd like to blame Covid for this, and on long out-and-back rides that was definitely a factor for much of the year, but there's no reason I couldn't have just set up a cooler in the back of my car at the foot of a long climb and spent a day doing repeats. I'd still like to Everest in 2021, but that will involve getting a half-everest in pretty soon just to set a baseline. Zwift Mt. Ventoux repeats may be in my future for a weekend day in January or February where the girl has plans.
4) remaining KOMs. I'm gonna call it done, as at some point in the year I did have all 5, and I currentlty have 4 of the 5. I lost the 5th, Walnut Street, to a guy I've ridden with a few times and I have a friendly rivalry, so naturally I'll have to take that one back.
5) 4w/kg. SO Close, and had I done a FTP test at year end rather than the Rapha 500, I might have gotten there, as my last FTP update on Strava was on a 19:30 hill climb rather than a proper 20-minute test, and my trainer reads a hair lower than my crankset power meter. But, at my year-end weight, I was about 3.94w/kg. Just missed, buyt that was like 3.65 or so at the start of the season, and a 10% jump isn't nothing.
6) 200 mile ride - this one I will blame Covid. That kind of distance involves stopping a lot to refuel.

I eventually did adopt last year's 5,000 mile goal as the year went on, and I finished at 5,300.7 miles, which I was pretty happy with. I also had the last week of the year off and conditions weren't awful so I ended up riding and completing the Rapha Festive 500, 500km between Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, which is a fucking LOT of riding for New England in December and I still can't believe I did it, especially considering 400 of those 500km were outside and the 100km was a single Zwift metric, which sitting on a trainer that long to grind out a metric is fucking brutal. :lol:

It also wasn't really a stated goal, but I did a LOT of KOM hunting during the lockdown and ensuing summer and fall, and per Veloviewer I think I took outright or tied 36 KOMs, and per Strava I'm now on my 2nd page, with 33 KOMs I hold outright. The one I'm the most proud of is the Around the Mountain loop up in Acadia, my favorite of the carriage paths up there and and effort that was responsible for one of my two big FTP jumps this season. I also took a KOM every month of 2020 except March, when I had covid, and December, when I had no excuse.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
That's some impressive cycling! :yesway:

No KOMs for me, and I lost one of my running CR's :mad: - and it'll be a long time before I'm in any position to take it back. Perhaps next summer!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
Thanks! Gotta start thinking about my 2021 goals here, too.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts