Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jesus, you slackers, it's mid-February and I kept waiting for someone else to start this thread, but here we are on a Friday afternoon, I'm burned out and fried from work, so fuck it, let's get the ball rolling here. :lol:

What are YOUR goals, in whatever sports or for whatever aspects of your overall health, for 2021?

Mine

• Break 50 minutes on the North Adams side of Greylock (current: 52:47, on a strong attempt, this will be hard) and the Lanesboro side of Greylock (current: 51:39 and I bonked pretty hard in the final two miles, this should be a formality, just a matter of getting out there on a day I can do a max effort attempt)
  • Break 10 minutes on the Wachusett Visitor Center to Summit segment (current: 10:49 - tough but doable)
  • Ride 5,000 miles, same as 2019 and 2020
  • Break 4.0w/kg, which I just missed last season.
  • Race the Mount Washington Hill Climb, if I can get a spot
  • Improve my PR on the App Gap, on the Allen Clark Hill Climb segment - currently 41:15, when I was fighting a headwind and pretty shattered from an all-out assault summiting the Lincoln Gap so again this one's just a matter of getting out there with neutral wind on some day I'm not already broken, and I should be able to do some real damage to that PR.

And, low-key stretch goal that I'm thinking of (and some aggressive early season training has left me with a tender right quad/hip flexor so I'm very much on the fence here), taking an attempt at Everesting, picking a climbing segment and riding repeats on it until I've ascended 29,029 feet, the height of Mt. Everest. I'm leery on this one, as optimistically it's going to take me around 14 hours, I think, if I do it on a fairly steep segment... but I turn 40 this year, the girlfriend wants kids, so if I'm ever going to do something like this, it's probably either this year or next.

What about you all?

Reactions: Leon

·
Premium Member
23,421 Posts
Sorry, just coming down from my donut-high on my cheat-day :D

Other than the intermittent fasting I've gotten back into to cure the holiday bloat, I'm trying to walk at least 5k steps/day. Today, I'm currently at 289, so I best get moving :lol:

Goals never really worked for me. Just trying to stay active each day :yesway:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
- 4k miles (sadly including virtual, it's life in New England)
- 250 hours all purpose fitness
- Sub 1hr 10k (my PR is well under that but I haven't run a full 10k in over a year due to a zillion injuries last season....)
- 125mi single ride
- 10k vert single ride
- Less injuries than 2020, ugh

Even with two kids + job + covid I've still averaged 5-6 days a week of workouts for the last year, so I just want to keep it going.

I'm also going to be throwing in a bunch of hikes/small mountain climbs this year now that my son is old enough to come with me (and still light enough that I can carry him up/down if he tuckers out :lol:)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
My goal is still to be able to run, then I’ll see where it goes from there. The healing process after an achilles rupture is frustratingly slow.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goals never really worked for me. Just trying to stay active each day :yesway:
I think the two important things with goal setting, beyond all the like business consultant stuff like their being measurable and whatnot, is 1) they be achievable, and 2) especially for stretch goals, you have to be ok with not achieving them. Honestly, with a little more structure, "staying active each day" is a pretty decent goal, and if you're trying to walk 5k steps a day, it sounds like you already have the structure. :yesway:

4,429 Posts
150 hrs fitness cycling. Xc/endurance riding. 3 ish hrs a week of fitness oriented riding. With COVID I imagine I’ll mostly still be riding at my local trails so it should be easy to track progress thru Strava.
Have a few cool long distance rides planned. While I rode a lot last year few rides were much about fitness as opposed to just having fun. I know I’ll have more fun if I get into the level of shape i was in a few years ago before moving to pa.

Also plan to include some occasional gym sessions at home. Gonna experiment with some different stuff. Mostly want to strengthen my shoulders/pecs and do some full body strength building.

200 hrs trail building/fun riding/yoga. Want to commit equal time to the fun side of it. Hope to spend some time at dh park later in year. Also hope to contact a local ski resort and ask about restoring some run down trails. Also need to get much better at stretching as I had several small injuries that likely could’ve been avoided this year. Always wanted to get into yoga so gonna make time for it. Been doing several stretches for neck pain for years but now also want to work on rest of my body.

Maintain weight under 175. Ideally mostly being 165ish. Little less beer and avoiding binge eating and I’ll lose the extra 10. I’d be 165 now if it wasn’t for a ankle injury that kept me off mtb for a month. Will be a super easy goal.

Try to keep my blood pressure in check. I am a little high and have family history. So going to start putting more effort into that side of my health now I am getting older. It’s a lot harder to fix once you are unhealthy than to maintain while you are.

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
Goal is just to lose some weight. I'm overweight by about 100 lbs and it's def impacting my daily life in a negative way. I can hardly bend down to pick up a paper off the floor. I'm a super bad procrastinator and have an excuse for everything. "I can't go for a walk because there's no sidewalk" "I'll just cheat my diet this one time... again... for the 2nd... 3rd... 24th... time this week." 🤡Recognizing that I have an issue comes much easier to me than actually doing anything about it. My father had a heart attack and a bypass in January and it terrified me. I still can't find the drive to get up or willpower to force myself to. I guess my goal is to just do something. anything.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I think try and stay as injury free as possible is my goal, last year sucked for it, I had a reoccurring back issue that lasted most of the year and pretty much stopped me lifting and then finished off the year with a lovely Achilles injury.

I’d like to try and get back into lifting, also I’d like to try and beat my 10k time at some point, I feel like I’ve been slacking in terms of pace recently.

Also, indoor cycling is dull as fuck, I don’t know how people do it :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
finished off the year with a lovely Achilles injury.
Welcome to the club! How bad is yours?

I ruptured my Achilles in August, and it still isn’t close to 100%, despite my best efforts to do proper rehab. Sometimes feels like I'm not making any progress (I probably am, but it's so damn slow)

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Welcome to the club! How bad is yours?

I ruptured my Achilles in August, and it still isn’t close to 100%, despite my best efforts to do proper rehab. Sometimes feels like I'm not making any progress (I probably am, but it's so damn slow)
It's not too bad, I've certainly had worse :lol: , I can run on it now but I took most of December off and did indoor cycling instead because of it. I'm sure you have a good list of exercises to do but I found standing on a step and lowering down on the injured leg then raising on the un injured leg worked wonders, I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the stretch but I'm sure a quick google will point you in the right direction.

Also, I'm sure I'm just teaching you how to suck eggs here :lol: but a gel heel wedge will aid recovery. Hopefully you're back up and running soon dude.

·
Super Moderator
13,446 Posts
I'm up to 204 lately (at 2cm short of 6'2" / i.e. 185cm), but I've been maintaining around that weight for the past 2 years. I was at 186-193 in early 2019, but that was extremely difficult to maintain, even with some rather extreme exercise and dieting (as some of you might remember from my posts in 2018). I went from that weight up to around 205 in the span of maybe 3 months (after quitting my gym in SoCal and moving back to Tokyo) and have stayed around there ever since.

I still do about a 10k every day, anywhere from 5 to 7 days a week. I only did maybe a 5k yesterday because my Achilles has been killing me, but it didn't hurt much today, so I did around 15k today. I don't do the intense running like I used to do (mainly because I don't belong to a club, which I was considering joining again, but COVID-19 pretty much guaranteed that would not happen), though, mainly sticking to long-term, fast-paced walks (say, 10k in 90 minutes instead of 50 minutes).

My main goal isn't to lose weight, but just to prevent myself from gaining it. I like that I'm not going as crazy as before and that I can at least enjoy some high-calorie foods 2-3 days a week (I tend to eat very healthily during the weekdays and less healthily on the weekends, kind of like my old "cheat day" thing, but expanded to 2-3 days, usually from Friday night to Sunday night. Honestly, "less healthily" isn't the best way to phrase it since it's just higher calorie and often includes stuff many people consider actually would "healthy").

It's become somewhat of a new routine, so I don't see it changing soon.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It's not too bad, I've certainly had worse :lol: , I can run on it now but I took most of December off and did indoor cycling instead because of it. I'm sure you have a good list of exercises to do but I found standing on a step and lowering down on the injured leg then raising on the un injured leg worked wonders, I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the stretch but I'm sure a quick google will point you in the right direction.

Also, I'm sure I'm just teaching you how to suck eggs here :lol: but a gel heel wedge will aid recovery. Hopefully you're back up and running soon dude.
Good to hear that it's getting better.

I had to use one of those heel wedges for a few months after getting rid of the orthosis (walking boot thing out of a sci-fi movie), but now I'm supposed to try to stretch out the achilles to its normal length. It's still some way from it's normal range of motion, but getting there. The achilles itself isn't even sore anymore, there's just no strength in the calf muscles of the left leg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts