Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I was wondering what builders make 24 fret guitars of any shape with deep cutaways and very unimpeded access to the higher frets. I am not interested in the guitar otherwise, but I did notice Dean makes a Rusty Cooley model which seems to have a fairly unimpeded reach as well as something which seems interesting from a company called Black Mesa.

Does anyone know of some others, preferably comparable to something like a Suhr in terms of build quality and options but with a deeper cutaway than the Modern?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks; I wasn't interested in that guitar itself, just the depth of the cutaway which seemed deeper than usual.

Suhr is doing a 7 string and made a prototype for his son already. The cutaway will be roughly what it is on the 6 string modern I believe...

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
KxK? Rob's cutaway design is a bit of an overkill of you ask me. Sometimes I find myself hitting a note that's all sorts of weird, only to look down and see I'm fretting on the neck pickup :lol:

My Jackson Soloist "Pablo Cut" is also has great upper fret access. But for whatever reason it would seem that Jackson is going to keep it as a strictly-custom shop design. :noway:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
KxK? Rob's cutaway design is a bit of an overkill of you ask me. Sometimes I find myself hitting a note that's all sorts of weird, only to look down and see I'm fretting on the neck pickup :lol:

My Jackson Soloist "Pablo Cut" is also has great upper fret access. But for whatever reason it would seem that Jackson is going to keep it as a strictly-custom shop design. :noway:
Yup, I suggested the KxKs on another forum :yesway: The insane cutaway is available on 6 and 7 string, and even better it gives you that awesome access without the extreme ugly of the Cooley.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Even the Gibson V's (especially the truly vintage-styled ones) have unimpeded access to the 22nd fret.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
:confused: Which V's do you feel have bad upper fret access? I've played Rhoads V's and King V's, and the high frets are always easy to access because of no horn in the way.
My experience is with an Alexi LTD. The neck meets the body at the 19th fret on the treble side, where as my 2027 is unimpeded to the 23rd fret. Maybe it is just my playing style that makes it an issue though.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
:confused: Which V's do you feel have bad upper fret access? I've played Rhoads V's and King V's, and the high frets are always easy to access because of no horn in the way.
THe 'horn' has never been the issue with upper fret access for me, it's about where the body fills out after the neck pocket. Strat designs tend to be alright, but my old Jackson Rhoads' body swelled out right after the neck touched the body, so at the 24th fret I was battling3/4" wood as well as th eneck thickness, along with an additional 1 1/2" say of width because of the extra wood. It was uncomfortable and difficult, and couple with the fact that V's look shit unless you have them slung low, I called it quits and got a proper shaped guitar I could find a case for, take in a softcase, stand up against things, sit down with, and not feel crippling shame when playing anything other than thrash on it.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
WhatStitchSaid.

It's not that they have bad fret access. It's just that the body design lends itself to worse fret access than an RG or many other shapes.

FWIW I have played very few guitars with "bad" upper fret access and think this is generally a moot point. Some are better than others, but it's not my biggest concern when shopping.

OK, fine... Minarik = bad fret access.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
I know Budda's Sims has ridiculous upper fret access. I definitely found myself comfortably fretting on the neck pickup without realizing it :lol:
Brain Bowes guitars have a pretty good cutaway. Not QUITE as much 24th fret access as I'd like for a 25 fret guitar. WORLDS better than the usual ibby upper fret access though. The upper fret access on the cooley looks like it'd definitely be my cup of tea (and I LOVE tea). More to the point, Brian = awesome.

I'll (probably) be paying extra for better fret access, and a couple extra frets. MOAR, because MOAR!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.