Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jobs up 290,000; jobless rate rises to 9.9 pct. - Yahoo! News

Strangely, this is actually an encouraging sign, sort of.

from the article said:
The surprisingly high number of jobs added in April offered the latest evidence that businesses are feeling more confident in the recovery. Consumers increased their spending in March by the largest amount in five months. Factory production grew in April at the fastest pace in nearly six years and demand grew briskly for a variety of services in that same month.

Job gains in April were widespread. Manufacturers, construction companies, retailers, professional and business services, education and health services, leisure and hospitality, and government all showed gains. Among the weak spots: transportation and warehousing, and information companies, which all cut jobs last month.

Also encouraging: The employment picture in both February and March turned out to be stronger than previously thought. Payrolls grew by 230,000 in March, better than the 162,000 first reported. And, 39,000 jobs were actually added in February, an improvement from the previous estimate of 14,000 losses.
First, the April job creation seems more broad-based than March, where most of the new jobs were probably temporary positions related to the US Census. The fact that number has since been revised up and, since the census is a government project and thus about as easy as it gets to track, most of the revised number is probably from non-census work, it looks like the employment picture may have been better than first reported. That's a good sign - the fact it's translating directly into consumer demand is even better.

Second, the fact the unemployment rate went up two tenths of a percent to 9.9%, while sort of paradoxical at a glance, is also a sign of growing confidence. Most of the change can be attributed to formerly "discouraged" workers, those who were out of work and had given up looking, beginning to actively start searching again. There's a growing sense that jobs are out there to be had.

Another month or two of similar gains and I'll feel much better about prospects for economic growth and continuing positive stock market performance for the rest of the year.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I do know that the IBM plant that my town is basically built around is operating at near-max capacity for the first time in nearly two years. Now, watch me graduate just in time to hit another downswing :lol:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
my friend is doing census work down in charlotte :lol: He told me he thought some guy in a trailer park was going to shoot him lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts