Metal Guitarist Forums banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Marshall humper
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll

I have a friend looking to get an HT-5 head soon, and he's going to need a cab to go with that. I told him to go for a 2x12, since it's small, but still got that stack sound. Firstly, is there really a noticable difference between a 1x12 and a 2x12 enough to warrant him buying one, and two, could I get some suggestions at or under $400 for my buddy as well?

·
Marshall humper
x_posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. What speakers are in that thing?

·
Not baked anymore.
x_posts
I've got a Line6 2x12 with V30's I scooped up for $250 a few years back. It's held up nice, considering it's been up and down the east coast a few times and has done quite a few shows.

You can't really get the 4x12 sound from a 2x12. They definitely fart out once you start cranking them. Much more volume than a 1x12 though.

·
Dream Crusher
x_posts
Carvin vertical 212S or Avatar Traditional or Modern 2x12.

·
Marshall humper
x_posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not really going to need to be as loud as a 4x12. My friend is a bedroom warrior, but I wanted him to get some good sounds. I'm personally suspicious of 'custom' celestion speakers most of the time, mainly due to the one in my TSL combo sucking balls. I'm mainly looking for that good crunchy top end for him.

·
Registered
x_posts
It's not really going to need to be as loud as a 4x12. My friend is a bedroom warrior, but I wanted him to get some good sounds. I'm personally suspicious of 'custom' celestion speakers most of the time, mainly due to the one in my TSL combo sucking balls. I'm mainly looking for that good crunchy top end for him.
i presume that was the almighty celestion wolverine that was also in mine.... I never thought i'd find a speaker worse than a seventy 80 until i played that thing

·
Registered
x_posts
Toe-Knee said:
i presume that was the almighty celestion wolverine that was also in mine.... I never thought i'd find a speaker worse than a seventy 80 until i played that thing
Totally an opinion thing, but depending on the application, I rather like the Seventy 80. But then... I am really not into speakers with 'character' either. High end bass gear kinda ruined me that way.

·
Marshall humper
x_posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally an opinion thing, but depending on the application, I rather like the Seventy 80. But then... I am really not into speakers with 'character' either. High end bass gear kinda ruined me that way.
Too true, especially with bass gear, which is always trying to have 'character'. The 'custom' celestion in my AVT is actually rather nice, but once again, the wolverine is a steaming pile of elephant diarrhea.

x_y_of_z_posts