Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd never use anything above maybe 27. So that's fucking awesome for fret access for me :lol: Just think, if Cooley had an 8 string with that many frets, he'd still tune the fucker with a high string. Saying that, it would only piss dogs off anyways.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
:agreed: We need an 8-string in that configuration.

EDIT: Apparently, it has a 'neck pickup simulator'. :scratch: I wonder how the hell that works.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's fucking hideous.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Interesting. Without a Prestige badge and a comment about "Japanese craftsmanship" in the description, I expect it's an IndoIbby. Probably still $1500 or something ridiculous with that super-expensive Alder body. :roll2:

EDIT: Actually, I have to eat that. Didn't see the "Prestige" in the description of the neck. Ibanez needs to get real with their branding. :rant:

Anyway, now I bet it's like $2500. And a neck pickup simulator must be a fancy word for an active EQ that gives a bass bump and rounds off the treble.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I lol'd. Fucking Ibanez, you're ridiculous. This isn't ESP for shit sake, just stick to "normal" guitars.
Dude, we lambast Ibanez for not moving forward all the time. Honestly, this is kind of cool, but the execution isn't the strongest.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's fucking hideous.
:agreed:

They completely ruined the lines of the guitar. What's the fucking point? Those huge frets make it damn near impossible to actually fret with your left hand, and most people using stuff above 24 are just tapping.

·
is totally evil.
88 Posts
Personally I think if it had a longer scale length - 25.5" is way too short, IMO, for a 30 fret guitar - I think this would be pretty cool. Admittedly, Noodles has a point that most people that go above 24 frets are just tapping. Hell, Stephan Forte has 27 frets on his Lag guitar, and he hardly ever uses them, rather he just has them there for better access to the frets right -before- the 27th.

I wouldn't really go out and buy this, but... I guess some people will dig it?

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Washburn got there first about 25 years ago, and with a much more appealing guitar, albeit not with quite the same fret access, but the 29-fret version had great access.

I had one of these, and found that the 30th fret was as high as you could realistically play with some practice, so Ibanez has got it correct there. It is possible to do, but you have to modify your fingering techniques for that part of the neck.

I have a hard time with extended-fret guitars, because I pick much further away from the bridge than most people, so my picking hand is inevitably over the fretboard on these guitars.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
I really think they should have done neck through or something to make the reach more comfortable, but oh well. It still works, it just doesn't look too great.

These are going to be $1999.99 if I was told correctly.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Washburn got there first about 25 years ago, and with a much more appealing guitar, albeit not with quite the same fret access, but the 29-fret version had great access.

I had one of these, and found that the 30th fret was as high as you could realistically play with some practice, so Ibanez has got it correct there. It is possible to do, but you have to modify your fingering techniques for that part of the neck.

I have a hard time with extended-fret guitars, because I pick much further away from the bridge than most people, so my picking hand is inevitably over the fretboard on these guitars.
I think that looks COMPLETELY horrid :lol: That fretboard is far too long for the cutaway and the round off looks daft, and that trem looks odd as fuck :lol:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts