Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evenin' all,

i'm just freshly back from this monolith deathcult / talanas UK tour and am now preparing to go back into the studio to finish writing our next album. i'm imminently due a new custom guitar arrival from paul cuthbert guitars and i've decided that i'd like to start making use of my peavey 3120, replacing my current 6505+ that i've been using for a while.

i'd like to have a stab re-valving this head and would like to aim for something as warm as possible and to make the cleans as rich / glassy as possible. any particular suggestions for which to go for and where in the UK is best to get them?

additionally, james mcilroy made me a box for my 6505+ that splits the 7 pin channel switcher cable into three separate mono jack cables that then lead to an analog / MIDI switcher unit. i'd like to have this work anew for the 3120 but for some reason it's totally unresponsive to the existent one - does anyone know if the schematic for the 3120 is completely different re switching?

all the best,

H

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I'd hit up Watford Valves and ask them what they suggest.

As for the switching, I found this on the JSX (they just renamed it when Satch left) from this page on the Peavey Forums:

Peavey Forum said:
The 7 pin DIN connector that looks like a midi connector is really just a seven conductor connector, with each pin doing a certain function when grounded. You will need a MIDI controller which incorporates some kind of relay switching capability in order to switch channels via the controller.
Relay switching devices typically use ¼" jacks. Some use mono jacks, and some incorporate two relays per jack using stereo jacks. Refer to the owner's manual of your particular product for information concerning the jack configuration and wiring.

Here are the pin configurations of the DIN connector on the JSX/Triple XXX.
On the 7 pin connector (looking from the solder side on the connector with the open space at the top) the pins are numbered in order starting at top right (one o'clock position).

Pin 1. +17VDC supply to pedal
Pin 2. not used
Pin 3. Ground this pin to detect footswitch
Pin 4. Ground/Common
Pin 5. Clean/Bypass
Pin 6. Ultra/Crunch
Pin 7. Effects

Connect pin 3 and pin 7 to ground (pin 4).

Pin 5 will be your clean to lead, so it goes to one relay connection.

Pin 6 selects crunch or ultra, so that goes another relay connection.

Again, refer to the owner's of your particular product for information concerning the jack configuration and wiring.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I'm also fairly handy with a soldering iron and multi meter if you need any assitance

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's brilliant of you man, thank you! may very well take you up on that offer possibly.

i had a look at the watford valves site originally, however i'm very much open for advice on which might be best with that.

H

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
No worries, you've got my number if you do.

I'd give them a ring and ask them.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
The 3120 and the 6505+ use different switching systems, one is latch, the other momentary.

latch switching the signal is either on or off.

momentary switches send a pulse to change.

I believe the 6505+/6505 is all latch switching, whilst the 3120/JSX is momentary.

If you are still using that temporary box thing, it might line up with the wiring, but you will need to set it to do momentary switching.

http://www.nobels.com/oman/ms-4_ownersmanual.pdf

Owners manual tells you how to do it, and i think you have that model from vague memory.

In terms of retubing, you could go for more british type of sound with some el34's in it, and try that.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, from memory it's the MS-4 that i have actually. that's interesting that i could just power it all from that anyway. marvellous.

top stuff re the valve suggestions, thanks for that.

H

1 - 7 of 7 Posts