Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Pretty cool comparison. The guy plays the same riffs through both amps on the same settings, and it ping pongs back and forth between them. Seems like the model is a little bit brighter.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
2009 sounds more smooth
2010 sounds more upper midrange pushed as well as brighter. I like the 2010 more.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
I am with you guys, I much prefer the 2010, his settings are a little too bright for me, but I think you can hear the notes alot clearer and the chords.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
^that's what I first perceived as well. I wonder if it's because it's brighter and such that makes it seem louder. Or that it's just cutting through more essentially and is easily thought of it as being louder.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Hmm. Anyone else notice that the newer one is always louder?
This is probably why everyone seems to like it more. Psychoacoustic effect.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
^that's what I first perceived as well. I wonder if it's because it's brighter and such that makes it seem louder. Or that it's just cutting through more essentially and is easily thought of it as being louder.
No, I think it's just mixed louder.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Or maybe the amp's set to be louder with the dials set the same way? That's what I thought the whole point of the video was.

But then again, wouldn't surprise me if they did just mix it louder. They're trying to promote how much better the bright shiny new model is, so yeah.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
There's something definitely different in the gain stage. The 2010's clean breaks up a lot more and sounds like ass. Not that Duel Recs ever had spooge in the pants inducing cleans in the first place.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
There's something definitely different in the gain stage. The 2010's clean breaks up a lot more and sounds like ass. Not that Duel Recs ever had spooge in the pants inducing cleans in the first place.
Hmm. The two I played had cleans that sounded significantly better. Odd.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Maybe all these differences can be explained by the 2010 having a "hotter" V1? Regardless, it doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I kinda heard the same thing. The clean on the 2009 sounded really good, but on the 2010 it sounded a little brittle and broke up too much.

There's definitely less bass in the amp now, it's more balanced, and it sounds like it'd sound really good without an OD or compressor in front since the flubby bass is gone and it's an overall tighter amp.

I'm really happy to see Mesa progressing this line. The rectos have always been good amps, but these new ones sound really great.

·
Disposable Hero
266 Posts
I spent about 2 hours with a 2010 Triple recently and I was impressed with it. Is it the same as my 2 Channels? No, but I can hear a distinct difference between it and the original 3 Channel models. everyone kept saying there really wasn't much difference tonally, it's just a few new options or a Roadster "Lite," etc. I didn't experience that.

I enjoyed the amp and could hear an immediate difference from the original models. Aside from the obvious difference in options, the bass frequencies and sub-lows in the amp are much improved. I could never stand the booming sub-lows in the original ones, but this model is much better about it. It still has a massive bass response, don't get me wrong...but it feels like it's been lifted a little to remove some rumble. For the first time, I also enjoyed turning up the gain a little and jamming out on "Vintage." In fact, I think I may have liked Vintage better than Modern even for heavy rhythms. It's also not nearly as dark as a Roadster, which gives it a leg up in my book. I couldn't get over the darker nature of the Roadster, and I think this gives some of the options of the Roadster I liked, while fixing a few of the issues I had with the original 3 Channels.

If I find a decent price used on a 2010 Triple, I'm going to buy one and give it a try for the long term. I can't stomach paying the retail prices they ask these days though. I'm a cheap bastard like that... :D

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My drummer has a Roadster that is actually bright; it sounds like a Road King 1. It's what everyone was expecting the Roadster to be: a four channel Recto.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
How many of you guys have tried Rivera K-tres?

I know there are alot of recto fans here, so I think alot of you would really like the K-tre.

I'm not one to spew sensationalist statements like X AMP WIPES THE FLOOR WITH Y AMP. But I think if some more of you guys tried out riveras, you might not be playing Mesas anymore :squint:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
ive only got like 5 minutes on a k-tre, but goddamn do i love the fucking shit out of my brothers S120 :agreed:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts