Metal Guitarist Forums banner

5-string bass options

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Rocka_Rollas 
#1 ·
I've been looking around for bass options.

A custom specced Warmoth j-bass is on my top-wanted but it would also cost more than I would want to spend since I only use bass for recordings basically.

Other options includes the following.

I've tried a copy of this Jackson CBXNT bass.
It was probably good if the fretwork didn't suck balls out of the factory. But they can't all be like that.
It has graphite reinforcement rods, which is nice.

The Steinberger Spirits looks pretty cool too, but needs "special trings" unless there's some prostetic thing to hold regular strings:
It has a 3-piece maple neck, which is nice.

Best so far spec-wise is this Schecter bass tho!
It has 3-piece neck AND graphite reinforcement rods, so it's like the two above combined.
Also seems to have more options tonewise compared to the above, which could be useful when recording and stuff.
However I'm not super into the looks of it, but it's not terrible.

I'm not interested in any kind of basses that doesn't have multi-plece necks or graphite reinforcements.
And it needs to be gloss white with black hardware.
Any other options to look for?

See less See more
#2 ·
I was almost in the same market recently, but ended up just restringing my 4-string bass with a set of Rotosound DropZone's - DROP ZONE & DROP ZONE PLUS | ROTOSOUND. I had a 5-string way back and didn't like it so this turned out to be a handy way to stick with the 4-string feel but get the 5-string extended range. Sure, you lose the G string, but I never really used it that much.

It needed some very minor surgery on the nut for the thicker strings and a bit of a setup, but it works great. It's an option!

S.

#5 ·
Well, I DO string my current Ibanez bass with BEAD strings, but I need the G string ;)
It's the B-string I use the least, but the B string is just as useful.

I dont play downtuned shit (my guitars are mainly E-standard) I just like the B string for playing 2 octaves under the guitar at more occasions than a EADG can do.

Schecter Stilleto or Spector Legend. Best sounding basses for the price bar none. I spent about two years experimenting with bass tones and I just couldn't top those. The Spector especially. Who cares about aesthetics, you're not a bassist and it's just for studio work.
I make Youtube videos, I dont wanna look more like a dork than I already do

#4 ·
Schecter Stilleto or Spector Legend. Best sounding basses for the price bar none. I spent about two years experimenting with bass tones and I just couldn't top those. The Spector especially. Who cares about aesthetics, you're not a bassist and it's just for studio work.

#6 ·
Those Schecter Stilettos with the EMGs and 3-band pre are fantastic. I had a six-string one for a while and only sold it because I never used the sixth string; I played it quite a lot, and I have some pretty nice basses that it had to compete with.

#12 · (Edited)
Ive done a couple of albums with a five string Schecter stiletto, and the results have been really good.

For an example check out Pharaoh's Be Gone or Ten Years.
Ok I looked it up and it sounded pretty cool even tho I couldn't find a part with only bass or at least prominent tho hehe

Too bad it's pearl white and cosmo black = I only want snow white and real black, like the ones in OP

Literally nobody can look like a dork playing a Spector.
I can be the first! :flex:

I would look like a dork playing a Holoflash Rex.

Other than that, I agree.
You sure do. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.