Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I acquired a duncan over the weekend, a mono jack and a 500k pot to switch my guitar from an EMG to a passive. Being that it's a Rhoads, I had to fish the wire though the wing and into the control cavity, get the pickup in the ring and installed, etc.

Once this was all done, I went to put the pot in the guitar. Well, the post of the EMG pot is slightly thinner than the CTS 500k pot I have, and the CTS won't fit in the guitar. So my question, does someone make a narrow post 500k pot?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Awww, fuck, you're kidding, right? :(

Is it a split shaft or a solid shaft pot? I think the solid shaft pots are thicker. Honestly, I've never run into this problem with a Jackson before. Even the oddball eighties ones.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww, fuck, you're kidding, right? :(

Is it a split shaft or a solid shaft pot? I think the solid shaft pots are thicker. Honestly, I've never run into this problem with a Jackson before. Even the oddball eighties ones.
I wish I was kidding. It's a solid shaft pot. The problem is the threaded part at the bottom. Like the CTS is American and the EMG is metric, or vice versa... it's a CH too small.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Which RR is it? No scratch plate?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the black tribal flame guitar.... so no scratch plate... and no desire to drill the 2002 NAMM showcase guitar... but I will if I have to!

I only have one RR with a scratch plate... my '85, that one would be easy to convert back to passives...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I seem to recall that CTS pots come in both metric and standard sizes, but I could be wrong. I would hate to drill that thing, since you risk chipping paint, and I know it has a lot of paint.

I'm assuming you bought mini pots?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seem to recall that CTS pots come in both metric and standard sizes, but I could be wrong. I would hate to drill that thing, since you risk chipping paint, and I know it has a lot of paint.

I'm assuming you bought mini pots?
I bought whatever pot Matt at Action handed me. Is there such a thing as a mini and non-mini pots?

I haven't swapped pickups in a guitar in 15 years. I put EMGs in my King V in '97, but I seem to remember that the deal was Mike could have the passives out of it if he did the install :)

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The EMG pots are always the small size, or at least they have been since the early '90s. Stew-Mac has them. (You need the mini-pot with the 5/16" mounting diameter.)

Edit: Heh - good timing. ;)

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I've had to use a knife to increase the size of the hole slightly on my guitars before (although they're not NAMM Jacksons, LOL) but it's hidden by the pot so not like it's a huge deal unless you're super anal or going to revert it when you sell it or something

if it's really a big deal just buy a new pot...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Full size:

Mini:

·
Mr. Oni Guitars
1,366 Posts
You can ream the hole very slightly larger. Just get a cheap reamer from a hardware or auto place and give it a couple of light twists in the hole from either side. You should be able to pick one up for 5 to 10 bucks.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I haven't swapped pickups in a guitar in 15 years. I put EMGs in my King V in '97, but I seem to remember that the deal was Mike could have the passives out of it if he did the install :)
Yes, and that had solid-shaft CTS pots that NONE of the knobs I owned would fit, so they're still sitting in my parts box. ;)

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone make a 5/16" solid shaft pot? The Jackson knobs use a set screw that tends to make them rotate funny when using the split shaft.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You just have to get the knob exactly flat when you tighten the screw. It's a bitch. :lol:
And sometimes, you can never get the knob to stay permanently on, and it keeps falling off, during practice, at a fucking gig, you gouge your hand, god damn fucking knob!!! :pissed:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts