Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i'm currently bidding on a replacement RG body on ebay and it looks like i might actually win it for next to nothing.

trouble is i have no idea why i bidded on it in the first place, i must have been drunk at the time as it was ages ago and i dont remember doing it :ugh:

what i'm really gassing for at the moment is an RGD7421, and a kit guitar build as something fun to do as a side project (preferably a PRS style kit).

if i win this for ridiciulously cheap i wont want or need another 6 string ibanez (especially a clone), so considered converting it to a 25.5 scale 7 string. usually people say 'dont bother butchering your guitar and buying all new parts, just get a 7 - BUT as this is just a body and a cheap one at that i'm considering widening the neck pocket to fit a 7 neck and widening the pick up routes, and looking for some cheap 7 string hardware. These tasks sound pretty straightforward to my no0b logic, but its widening the tremolo cavity that's got me worried. is there anyone with experience doing this that would not recommend shaving the trem cavity to a novice? or any tips you could offer in general?

if its a too big a job, i might see if anyone here wants to pick up a cheap RG body from me!

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i will still buy one either way, but if i win this body i might as well do something with it i suppose. i'm currently the highest bidder on £10, plus another £7 for delivery.

i also want to do a kit guitar, and i will do one as a summer project, like i said a PRS and if it turns out ok upgrade the hardware.

i suppose a 7 string conversion kit build seemed like an awesome idea for a project lol.

i know you guys are right, but gas can be so irrational when you see what looks like a good deal.

if anyone wants to outbid me, feel free - you could get the body for less than £18 delivered if you want/need one.

PM me if you want the link.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
You're looking at a pretty serious undertaking to convert that guitar. Not saying you shouldn't, by any means. It's your money, and it would be a fun experiment if you've got the time for it, but I'm hoping you know what you're getting yourself into. :lol:

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
The neck pocket will be a huge hassle as you'll also have to relocate the bolt holes (I'm pretty sure). In fact, there will be a lot of filling and relocating holes.
not to mention 6 string body with 7 string neck just won't look correct at all.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I'm pretty sure 6-string and 7-string RGs have the same body outline and hardware placement, the neck, pickups, and bridge are just wider. Which is why they fit snuggly in the same cases.
I thought maybe the body itself would be a little bit larger on a 7 string then again I never played a 6 string and 7 string versions of the same guitar before.

·
Bowes Guitars
1,958 Posts
I'm pretty sure 6-string and 7-string RGs have the same body outline and hardware placement, the neck, pickups, and bridge are just wider. Which is why they fit snuggly in the same cases.
Getting the new humbucker, bridge and neck pockets routed accurately to convert it sounds like way too much of a pain in the ass as well as making sure that new neck bolts line up. You'd probably end up trashing the new body. :(

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 6 and 7 string RGs have the same bodies, but the 8 string versions have a slightly thicker upper horn.

You COULD pull this off, but I wouldn't risk it, considering the odds that you'll just screw up a body is much bigger :lol:

I would get 6 string parts and put together a killer 6 string, and then sell that, and use the money earned to buy a 7.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
I would listen to Brian on this one, mate. If he says it'll probably be too much trouble, you'd do well to listen. BUT, like I said, I can't tell you what to do with your money, and for £17 it sounds kind of fun to buy a shit body and experiment on it until it dies. :lol:

Edit: Brian AND Darren say no. :lol: /thread

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yeah the body profile is the same - its just width of pocket,pickup and trem cavities thats different. some people who've done the conversion said they have been lucky enough to not need to redrill anything in regards to the neck holes.

i was winning the body for £10 so it was hardly a gamble in that sense. i'm not made of money by any stretch, but its not like i would really be out of pocket - then its just a case of sourcing a used 7 neck, tremolo and pups.

by the way -the auction just ended and i lost :( it went for £16 - think thats about $24.

im not sure if im relieved or bummed about losing it now!

i think i'll just go back to looking for a kit guitar to cut my teeth on!

EDIT: thanks for all your input guys, i think i just needed to be talked out of a crazy idea that would wind up just burning money:)

·
Bringer of, Satan Ants
3,384 Posts
MegaBangerTwanger would not take on such a project.
We would send you over to Oni.
I heard Danno loves working on RG's.
:rofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts