Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm usually not one for Rusty's playing, but this is a really cool concept: six note patterns, repeating twice, over three octaves. Basically, you leave out the seventh, get out of the box, and play diagonally across the fretboard. I've used this approach before in my solos, without every really thinking about what I was doing, but that was basically to just repeat a lick while climbing the fretboard. I've never thought of it as a way to just burn in key, although he presents it in a way that completely makes sense for that.

I've typically seen this done with harmonic minor, except that winds up having the seventh, and becoming a 3-note/4-note per string pattern, with an uncomfortable position shift in it. This seems far more useful.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Can't watch the video from work, but say what you will about his music I've always found Rusty's approach to the guitar absolutely inspiring.

(I kind of like the music, too. :wub:)

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
I've been messing around with this stuff for a while, and you're 100% right; it's a really fascinating, versatile approach to constructing more interesting runs and navigating the fretboard.

Everyone should really check out Derek Taylor's playing if you're into this sort of thing, as Rusty got a lot of ideas from him about this sort of thing.

EDIT: If you want a really cool variation on this idea, try leaving out the fourth of the scale. It means the position shift's in the middle of each octave shape, which can be a little more awkward, but sounds really cool.:)

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
You can do something similar by adding a note to the scale (like bebop players do to keep chord tones on downbeats while just going straight up and down with eighth notes) or just sliding into a note every other string.

Jeff

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
rusty is such a beast. this is actually a nice little peice, as he was saying, to help you move around. i understand what hes saying about seeing the board as a whole instead of little chopped up peices after listening to that

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I picked up both of the Fretboard Autopsy DVD's on the cheap a while back. But I've never had the chance to really go over them, until recently. 2 DVD's worth of material like the vid in the OP. :yesway:

There's another 6 tone approach he shows where the 4th is removed. Also, 9 note groups, and then doing 2 groups of 9 with an additional group of 6. Then he flips that upside-down so it's a "6-9-9" pattern.

He also threw in a quick review of the modes. Grouping them into 6 string and 5 string root modes (no 7 string though. :noway:). 12-note split patterns for each mode, and also some single and double string examples.

And this is just on the 1st DVD. I haven't even bothered to look at the 2nd one yet. This should keep me occupied for a little while. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts