Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm TOTALLY gonna get one!

http://www.biglots.com/browseDepartmentItem/electronics/4373

WiFi connectivity, eBooks application, 2GB internal (up to 32GB with card), browse the web, watch videos, play music. case included Full Function Android (2.1) Based Tablet!

Why the HELL not? Its hundreds of dollars cheaper than other tablets. Worth a try. If it sucks, I can always return it! :lol:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Why the hell not?

Go to your local Bestbuy, play with the original Samsung Tab that is running 2.1, notice how shitty it runs, and then report back here.

It doesn't even have to do with the fact that it isn't the latest and greatest, it's just that 2.1 wasn't meant for tablets for one, and at this price, you know the tablet isn't sporting optimal hardware that will make this a worthwhile purchase.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why the hell not?

Go to your local Bestbuy, play with the original Samsung Tab that is running 2.1, notice how shitty it runs, and then report back here.

It doesn't even have to do with the fact that it isn't the latest and greatest, it's just that 2.1 wasn't meant for tablets for one, and at this price, you know the tablet isn't sporting optimal hardware that will make this a worthwhile purchase.
Would it work for just surfing the internet? Cuz that's all I'm planning on using it for. And for that price, I think I could deal with 'not that fast' :lol: It'd be nice, since I don't have a smart phone, to take this with me to the bar when watching UFCs to look up fighter stats, etc.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
I'm not sure, but this may be the tablet in question..

EFun Nextbook Next5 Review | Android Tablet Reviews | Tablet Reviews

Or at least the same series.

It only has Wifi, so if you took it to the bar to look up stats, you'd need a Wifi connection available. And if that's the case, you'd might as well use an iPod touch. Even older generations can be had for pretty cheap these days. The screen isn't as big, but it's a more convenient size for taking to the bar.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
If you did want something bigger than an iPod, there's also the Nook eReaders that run on Android. They cost more, but you'd get more out of it (If you're the reading type), and could still browse the web.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That thing is a shitbox.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I wasn't planning on reading books on it actually :lol: Just surfing the net, maybe use it to plug into my speakers downstairs and jam along to music on it. And the bar I watch UFCs at has WiFi. And there's a great Android app called iTrackMMA that my friends have on their smart phones, that I could likely get on this thing, which would be sweet!

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Do er up if you want man, but I'm guessing everything about it will suck, including the battery life. :lol:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That thing is a shitbox.
Any chance you can recommend a better produce in the same price range? Cuz the price is the only reason I'm considering it. I'm not gonna pay >$100 for one. Not really necessary.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
The data plan would be a hell of a lot more than $89 over the course of the contract. :lol:

There may not be anything else worthwhile in this price range, but that doesn't mean you should drop the $90 on this.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

There is no "if" dude. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The data plan would be a hell of a lot more than $89 over the course of the contract. :lol:

There may not be anything else worthwhile in this price range, but that doesn't mean you should drop the $90 on this.
I'm aware of that. It would be 2-3 months of 3G access.

Then again, he could buy an unlocked smartphone on eBay and just use the wifi functionality too.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'd be better served snagging a smartphone. Some of them are free these days, you just have to pay for the 3G/4G data plan.
Yeah, the data plan would be $69+tx/month. I currently pay $47 WITH taxes/mo. I like that :fawk: :lol:

Yes, I'd be better served with a smart phone, but I'm just not interested in going that route, yet. I kinda liked the looks of the Motorola Photon 4G. Would be interested in knowing more about it tho.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Also, if you do a google search for Nextbook and Android Market, it appears that this is one of those tablets that doesn't have the Google apps, which means to Market access.

You'd likely have to tinker with it to load the market on it to get that app that you want. Unless you want to side load the app.

Either way, kind of a hassle, if even possible.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

Regor said:

That thing is a shitbox.
Any chance you can recommend a better produce in the same price range? Cuz the price is the only reason I'm considering it. I'm not gonna pay >$100 for one. Not really necessary.
That's like saying "recommend me an amp with awesome tone, and I'm not going to pay over $25 for it" dude. Cheap tablets are just that. They want to suck people in who don't want to pony up the cash for even a basic "real" one. What you're looking at is the Chibanez JEM of tablets. It has 6 strings and a handle, but that's where the similarity ends, know what I mean?

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
I'm aware of that. It would be 2-3 months of 3G access.

Then again, he could buy an unlocked smartphone on eBay and just use the wifi functionality too.
That's another idea. Check the Android version requirements for the app you want, and but a cheap ass, 3 year old android device online. Like the original Samsung Galaxy.

Edit: Doesn't even have to be that old actually, there are some cheap 2.1/2.2 devices out there.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts