Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the OFR7 on my KxK came with four springs standard. It still flutters nice, but it feels a bit stiffer than I like. However, the tuning stability is solid as a rock. It never goes out of tune.

Is anyone using their trems with three springs? I know that is pretty standard on sixes, and it has the spongier feel that I like, but I am unwilling to sacrifice stability.

Loomis guys: what does your guitar come like standard?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I use 3 high tension springs. i cant use 3 normal springs, as with 10-59 i have to screw my claws in all the way in e, and i tune down half a step with a 10-68. Youll get better flutter with fewer springs stretched more than you will with more springs stretched less. also, screw the treble side in more than the bass side. sounds crazy, but ive done it to my carvin and ******* (here, *************** at ss.org) or aaron at ss.org can tell you from saturday's meetup, that trem flutters like pretty much no trem ive ever seen (short of my coworkers sg melody maker lol).
Ive done it on my RG350 since then and it works amazing.

edit: i got them from rich harris, btw :(.
i dont like dealing with him lol (his policies with payment, while understandable, suck to deal with), im trying to find somewhere else to get some, as i need some. i bought a whole stash of them about a year and a half ago and im out.

If you find any other sources let me know. Gotoh makes them, but my shops not a gotoh dealer

edit 2: the "standard springs are 52mm long. the high tension ones are 47mm. the fender black springs are 52-53mm depending, and just use springs with a higher k value.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How can you tell the difference between high and low tension springs? Got any pics you can show me of them side by side, or at least pics of both?

The trem came setup with the claw canted towards the treble side, and it does indeed flutter nicely I was completely surprised that it had four springs installed. Then again, since this is my first seven with a trem, I just assumed the stiff bar response was a byproduct of the extra string.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
like i said, the high tension springs are 47mm long when at equalibrium, and the standards are 52. fender springs are ~52.5, i measure them at 52 or 53 depending, and are black. nice and spongy, but shitty for sevens (or anything using tens lol).

it is harder to get the flutter out of a seven, but its doable. a perfectly setup 6 string trem (set up for flutter i mean) will get more flutter than a perfectly setup 7 string trem, but you can get a 7 string trem almost unusably fluttery still lol.

I dont have any pics atm, but ill see if i can snag some. ill look around for spare springs (mine are all in guitars atm as far as i know)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
a quick count reveals that the high tension springs have 34.5 winds will the normal ones have 38.5 winds

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

heres the trem spring part of the gotoh product catalog. those look to be about the same length, made of a different material. that works too. I vote we put in a bulk order with someone who does gotoh lol

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Ibanez has two springs in the pricelist, the parts are
2ST2C3
2ST2C3T

rich harris has the 2ST2C3 listed as the standard spring, so im assuming 2ST2C3T is the high tension spring. the list price on those is $1.20

hes charging two and a half times the list :lol: (that said, theres nowhere else really to get him so he can :agreed:)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Actually Max - the count of windings in the spring is pretty irrelevant. Its the actual spring constant that determines the tension/stiffness. The spring constants are usually in lb/in or N/cm for springs - the higher that constant the stiffer or more resistant to change in its length.

I had High Tension springs from this one guy on ebay. He sold them a while back - will see if I can find him from my ebay home.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Actually Max - the count of windings in the spring is pretty irrelevant. Its the actual spring constant that determines the tension/stiffness. The spring constants are usually in lb/in or N/cm for springs - the higher that constant the stiffer or more resistant to change in its length.

I had High Tension springs from this one guy on ebay. He sold them a while back - will see if I can find him from my ebay home.
mesh, less length to the spring means a greater displacement already in place meaning it takes less force to stretch it further, an already open spring is easier to open more than a closed spring with the same spring constant. :lol: both are relevant. Remember, Hooke's law is not a law. its generally applicable, but as the string stretches more and more, it looses accuracy, and at the point of hysterwtfeveritscalledia (when the spring warps), it becomes completely inaccurate, and the equalibrium of the spring changes and it all starts over again

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
anyways, any luck finding that dude you got yours from? :lol:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
My loomis came stock with 4, but i've found 3 works well enough. So either 3-4 for me. I've found the more springs (regardless of tension) = More metal to move = less flutter.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
I use three in the /|\ for guitars I use more trem on and four in |||| for less flutter when i track rythym.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i use 3 as well, when i had my 1527 i could get crazy flutters with the edge, but now that i have a zr it has the counter balance springs that dont let me flutter and it looks to have special length normal springs(shorter) but still just 3

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I fucked up my wrist MAKING high tension springs :lol: Basically, I cut the loop used to hook the spring to the trem claw, and then snipped off 2 more loops, then bent the third one up to make a new catch for the trem claw. I of course fucked my wrist up on the third spring :lol: You don't look like you have little girly arms/hands, so you might be able to do it a bit better than me :lol:

I bought a bulk pack of 25 and of course they're lower tension, so I didn't want to waste them. I want to see if I can make SUPER high tension springs, and only use 2 springs for ultimate fluttering :lol:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
i use 3 as well, when i had my 1527 i could get crazy flutters with the edge, but now that i have a zr it has the counter balance springs that dont let me flutter and it looks to have special length normal springs(shorter) but still just 3
If you want to flutter, take the counter springs off. I think Metal Ken said his ZR flutters like a motherfucker with that contraption off. Of course, you lose the added stability, so it's a trade off.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
I have 3 high-tension springs in one of my RGs, I'll trade them for regular ones, because I'm not a fan of fluttery crap. Just sick divebombs every once in a while.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
If you want to flutter, take the counter springs off. I think Metal Ken said his ZR flutters like a motherfucker with that contraption off. Of course, you lose the added stability, so it's a trade off.
thats pretty much what i'v heard too, but i dont really flutter too much anyway

i DID flutter in my pants one day though:fullofit:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts