Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there dangers to this? After the recent happenings with my Peavey, I've decided it might be good to get a backup for when something like this happens so I can play, but my cab is rated at 16 ohms and some heads of what I'm looking at only goes to 8 ohms, so would this mismatch be "safe?" For what it's worth, I'm looking at mostly solid state heads like some of the Quilter amps and Boss Katanas.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
tube amp wise, my understanding is that you are good as long as the cab is equal or higher than what the amp is putting out.

You will lose some power and punch, but it's mostly safe.

That said, I don't think it's as much of a concern when dealing with solid state heads, but you will still lose some power in the output.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That is a safe mismatch. It's the other direction that's bad.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Solidstate is fine, it just lowers the output power when you increase the load resistance. If you go below the minimum it will blow up the output circuit.

For tubes it depends on the amp design but typically is okay, some you can use lower impedance loads too so it really depends on the amp.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Consider a table built to hold 8 pounds. If you drop 4 pounds of stuff on it, it'll be fine, but 16 pounds and it'll buckle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts