Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you guys that use 8-string active pickups prefer, 808's or Blackouts?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Blackouts. Although EMG does have the 808X now. They might be worth trying out.

The regular 808's are just not my cup of tea. No matter what I've tried them in so far.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I have Blackouts in poplar (like alder), and they're amazing. They don't do anything wrong and have a killer tight low-end crunch, in addition to cleaning up nicely if you so desire.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
There are some pretty cool vids of Tosin playing the EMG 808X, but they're recorded at the EMG Soundstage, so take that with a grain of salt.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
While recorded professionally at the EMG Soundstage, I'm pretty sure this is direct from his Axe-FX. 'Cuz that's how he rolls.

I prefer my Blackout tone to what's in the video, though it is awesome because Tosin is awesome. Damn him for making me want to keep my 8-string all of a sudden. :squint:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Damn him for making me want to keep my 8-string all of a sudden. :squint:
I know how you feel, every time I watch anything with Tosin it makes me regret getting rid of my 2228 :lol: But then I remember I never used the 8th string and am happier with the 7's I have now :D

I liked the 808's I had in my 2228, they were very trebly/middy but they were tight pickups.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Well, it depends on what kinda sound you want to go for. I think the EMGs and the Blackouts both sound great, but personally I would go with the Blackouts on an eight string.

From what I've heard, Blackouts. But, hell, anything's gotta be better than the 808s, also known as the only thing EMG makes that's worse than the 707s :lol:
:confused: The 707s are the best pickups EMG makes. I only have one guitar with EMG707s, but the other guitarist in my band owns 4 guitars with EMG707s because he likes them so much. And I can't imagine how anyone could NOT love them.

I guess there are just a lot of tasteless folks out there on the internet. :shrug:

·
18,790 Posts
:confused: The 707s are the best pickups EMG makes. I only have one guitar with EMG707s, but the other guitarist in my band owns 4 guitars with EMG707s because he likes them so much. And I can't imagine how anyone could NOT love them.

I guess there are just a lot of tasteless folks out there on the internet. :shrug:
To be fair, I didn't hate the 707, I just preferred the 81-7, at least with my rig. I always go for a tighter, less-gain tone, though. The 707s sound massive, and nothing beats them for "that sound", and whenever I was jamming Fear Factory tunes, I kind of missed it, but that wasn't that often :lol: I just found that my complaints with the 707 (deep loose low end) were worse with the 808, and the 808 just doesn't cut as well or have the same attack. The 707s in my old guitarist's Loomis sounded amazing through his JCM800 rig, the 808s in his Hellraiser C-8 just didn't sound inspiring or great at all. They were alright, but when he plugged in the Loomis it just sounded way better.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
People always criticize EMGs for cleans, but I think the cleans in my guitar with EMG707s sound better than my guitars with: Gibson stock Les Paul pickups, Seymour Duncan 59s, DiMarzio PAF7s, Blackouts, single coils, and the DiMarzio Blaze Customs I used to own.

This video isn't the best example of how good the cleans can sound, especially since I hadn't changed the strings on the guitar for about a month, but check out the cleans around 5:54-6:11 on this little guitar cover I threw up (using my RG7EXFX2 with EMG707s):

"Only pickups worse than 707s?" :nuts: 707s rule, yo.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
People always criticize EMGs for cleans, but I think the cleans in my guitar with EMG707s sound better than my guitars with: Gibson stock Les Paul pickups, Seymour Duncan 59s, DiMarzio PAF7s, Blackouts, single coils, and the DiMarzio Blaze Customs I used to own.
Some of the best cleans I've ever heard have come out of EMGs. A H-S-S with some SA's through my Koch Twintone on the clean channel kill.

A lot of people seem to forget that David Gilmour used them.

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
I wasn't huge on the 808s I tried out in Misha's RG2228 personally, and I don't hate EMGs (the 81TW/89TW combo in that Allender I just snagged smokes! :metal:) but the EMGX videos sound great so I'd like to hear a direct comparison between the 808X and the Blackouts. :yesway: Then again, Tosin can make just about anything sound amazing... :rofl:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Naren? Sick cover! :metal: We've been sorely lacking Opeth around here.

...but those cleans did not even remotely do it for me. While still compressed to heck, I think Blackouts have a more open and lush sound. I also just don't think they compete with passive cleans. Compressed is fine, but it's impossible to uncompress them. :2cents:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Naren? Sick cover! :metal: We've been sorely lacking Opeth around here.
Thanks. :) My April Ethereal cover with my J. Custom is a lot better (April Ethereal and Deliverance are my two favorite Opeth songs).

I remember there were always a ton of Opeth threads on sevenstring, but never any on metalguitarist, even though I know a ton of people here are into them. :lol:

...but those cleans did not even remotely do it for me. While still compressed to heck, I think Blackouts have a more open and lush sound. I also just don't think they compete with passive cleans. Compressed is fine, but it's impossible to uncompress them. :2cents:
I like my RG1527 with Blackouts more than my RG7EXFX2 with EMG707s, but I prefer the way the EMG707s sound with cleans to how the Blackouts sound with cleans, although. Granted, I think they sound a lot better through a tube amp than recorded direct.

I've owned WAY more guitars with passive pickups than with actives (I've owned a total of 9 passive pickups and 2 active pickups), but I still don't understand the people who say "Passive cleans are so much better than active cleans." :nuts: And, before you say "yeah, if it's digital," I've owned 3 tube amps, 2 solid state amps, 1 digital amp, and 3 processors (my current one being the Axe-FX).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts