Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Placed my order about a month ago, just got it today (Schecter was back-ordered on them when I placed the order). Some quick pics (with flash, since I didn't get home from work with it until around 11pm).

...and all 3 of my 7+ string guitars together:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, this is the 3rd or 4th one of this model I've played around with (not 100% sure of the number because we've had some in the store I work at, and sometimes they get transferred between stores, and not sure if the current in-stock one is one we've had before or not). I bought it based on the combination of price, comfort, and the impressions I'd gotten from playing it. Mine is slightly nicer-looking than the last couple I've seen, and the neck feels great. I still need to get a bit more used to the added string, but it's not throwing me off too badly so far. Band practice tomorrow night will be the real test, I think.

I also might be trading the stock EMG 808s for Blackouts later this week, and I won't know until tomorrow night how the EMGs sound through my real rig at band levels.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Nice! Glad you finally got one. Let us know how it sounds at band practice.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so my initial thoughts on plugging into my main rig (VHT D60 -> modded TS-7 -> custom 4x12 w/ VHT P50Es) at practice tonight were "holy shit, uncontrollable feedback!"

I changed some settings and that helped, but it wasn't really doing what I wanted, so when we took a break, I went back inside a little earlier than the other guys and played around for a couple minutes on my own...noticed that if I turned the tone knob all the way down, it helped matters (totally out of character for someone who always removes his tone knobs completely), and then I remembered something...

I've found in the past that if I ignore EMG's recommendation of putting the pickups as close as possible to the strings, and put them approximately where I would put passives, it sounds better...and this was no exception with the 808s. As soon as I backed off the pickups, the sound was much better, and I had no problem keeping the guitar from feeding back. I'm still not 100% into the sound, though, so I'm still gonna trade the 808s for Blackouts as planned, and hopefully that will improve things.

As far as the transition to the added string is concerned, it's not really that big of a deal for me...it threw me off very slightly a couple times here and there, but for the most part, there's very little extra thought required on my part to get used to it.

·
18,790 Posts
I've found once you go from 6 to 7, any other number of strings is easy :lol: It's just that first break of getting out of 6-string thinking that's tough.

As for the pickups, watch out with the Blackouts, they're higher output than the EMGs, so you'll really need to crank them down. You may end up needing to throw some passive pickups in there, either with custom rings or those fake EMG covers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts